Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB SSD Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/26764-kingston-ssdnow-v-series-40gb-ssd-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL December 17, 2009 06:21 PM

Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB SSD Review Comment Thread

It seems like everywhere we look, SSDs are increasing in capacity while very little downwards movement has been made when it comes to pricing. Kingston on the other hand is now offering their new Intel-based SSDNow V-Series 40GB units at a bargain price for people who are looking to add some performance to their systems. Let's see how this drive performs.

You can find the review here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...sd-review.html

gingerbee December 17, 2009 07:03 PM

good bang for buck but for the price i would go any 30gb indilinx before this

ayah December 17, 2009 07:30 PM

The sequential write would make program installing unbearable methinks.

lowfat December 17, 2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayah (Post 303952)
The sequential write would make program installing unbearable methinks.

Most programs are likely limited somewhere else. Whether it be from an optical disk or a bunch of small files. I am confident this drive would still be able to install most applications much quicker than any mechanical drive.

ayah December 17, 2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 303968)
Most programs are likely limited somewhere else. Whether it be from an optical disk or a bunch of small files. I am confident this drive would still be able to install most applications much quicker than any mechanical drive.

Definitely faster than mechanical drives, but I imagine some company out there is planning to release an SSD to compete at this price range post-haste. A cheap Indilinx would be nice to see.

gingerbee December 17, 2009 09:15 PM

they did. NCIX.com - Buy Patriot PS32GS25SSDR PS-100 32GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD 1 Year MFR Warranty - PS32GS25SSDR In Canada.
Patriot PS-100 32GB SSD Review | ServeTheHome.com

AkG December 18, 2009 05:43 AM

While I don't have one to test....I would pick up a SSDNow 40GB over that PS100 in a heart beat. The small write speeds of that Patriot drive are rumored to be in the 1mb range and the latency is also rumored to be down right atrocious (I've read reviews of it getting +1ms latency).

The SSDNow cant compete in many ways against the big boys, BUT for the price of two of them you would end up with a killer raid "boot drive" on the "cheap".

gingerbee December 18, 2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 304081)
While I don't have one to test....I would pick up a SSDNow 40GB over that PS100 in a heart beat. The small write speeds of that Patriot drive are rumored to be in the 1mb range and the latency is also rumored to be down right atrocious (I've read reviews of it getting +1ms latency).

The SSDNow cant compete in many ways against the big boys, BUT for the price of two of them you would end up with a killer raid "boot drive" on the "cheap".

oh hell i completely agree but it's got the right price ( 100$) tag so i can pretty much bet that it will sell everyone and there mother has been waiting for them to get to this price and they can't be slower the teh warp v2 series which make hd seem slow so i see a bright future for this drive. I would not buy 1 because i already have 1 warp left. :biggrin: and going raid just spend a little bit more ( like 20$ ) and you can get much better performance ( indilinx ) my a-data's get 150mb/s write know that's impressive hell they average 140:punk:

DukeN December 18, 2009 12:40 PM

So where can I get it for $112, preferably in stock?

TIA

SKYMTL December 18, 2009 01:54 PM

Memory House has it for $115: Buy Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive