Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2009, 07:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default WD 1TB Green

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on these drives here. I've found mixed things around other sites, some saying they're noisy, others saying they're slow.

It'll basically be a drive to store files and play media off of over the network. So nothing too crazy. It would also be in RAID1 (using Windows Server RAID), so I'd also like to know if these drives are fine in an array.

And I hear their latest revision is dual-platter instead of tri-platter, so comments on that would be good too if you have either one.

If your thoughts are negative, then what 1TB drive would you suggest?
Old December 14, 2009, 07:52 PM
Banned
F@H

if I'm right they fall in sleep mode, that may be a problem in raid. can this be dissable ? in other end that make them run cooler , you have the blue as alternative
Old December 14, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They are not noisy. Not mine at all. When they get out from sleep you can hear them spin for a second or two but after that they are silent. Yes they are slow, they have been made for that. But personally I found them perfect for storage in a silent HTPC ( paired with a faster OS drive ) or in a server.They are also cooler...a lot cooler then anything that Seagate can make. 1 of my collegue just get a 1TB samsung, the last one can't remember the model and he seem's to be fast, cold and quiet. Take a look at these, except that they are hard to get. Ho mark, in raid this make no problem, the disk spin at 5400RMP the only thing that change is the read head getting back in the garage so the array is still working. For sure I would sugest it for a big array on a network server they are one of the best I have used out there for that. Also in NAS storage they are killer due to temp.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 15, 2009, 04:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have a bunch in a windows home server. They are plenty fast for network streaming, video storage, file storage, etc. Being so big in size they don't need to spin as fast to give decent performance. Speed wise I would compare them to a 500GB blue drive. The run nice and cool and use less power than regular drives.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old December 15, 2009, 01:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
if I'm right they fall in sleep mode, that may be a problem in raid. can this be dissable ? in other end that make them run cooler , you have the blue as alternative
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, but it seems like it's not the case from the posts above.

And well are the 1TB Blue's even stocked? I could only find the Black and Green. As for Samsung, can't really find those either, but I'm guessing you're talking about the F1 series? Only other consideration I had was the Seagate 7200.12 1TB which is about the same price as the Green.

However Seagate has a shaky track record, and the two older 7200.7 drives I have from them both have serious issues. They store data still, just aren't always detected by the motherboard or they make it freeze during POST... Though I have a 7200.12 250GB and 500GB which seem to be going fine so far but it hasn't even been a year yet.
Old December 15, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a 1Tb Caviar Green set up as my main HDD(call that a beginer's mistake ?) and I must say that its darn quiet, that I have not noticed any slow downs or any noise for even a short period of time. I can only assume that a Caviar Black would be faster, but as I said, I am quite pleased with it as it is.
Old December 15, 2009, 05:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
I have a 1Tb Caviar Green set up as my main HDD(call that a beginer's mistake ?) and I must say that its darn quiet, that I have not noticed any slow downs or any noise for even a short period of time. I can only assume that a Caviar Black would be faster, but as I said, I am quite pleased with it as it is.
Yeah some people have posted HDTach results and it really isn't that slow a drive, even Tom's (if we trust 'em) said it performs very well for a 5400RPM drive.

The only worrying thing is I find contradicting opinions saying these drives are terribly slow and just in general don't operate too well with it going to sleep so often.
Old December 15, 2009, 11:07 PM
MVP
F@H

I had one as my primary drive for a while because I ran out of working drives and money at the time. I wouldn't use them as an OS drive, but they're excellent for using as media drives in an NAS or as a second drive. Mine seem to go to sleep after a few hours.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
Rookie

Ditto. Use the WD Greens for storage only. No os/programs/games whatsoever.
Intel Q9650 @ 3.96 GHz | Asus P5E | Xigmatek DT-S1283 | Gigabyte HD6950 | Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB DDR2-800 |Antec 900 | Intel G2 SSD 2x 80Gb Raid0 |2x Western Digital AAKS 640GB | M-Audio Studiophile AV40 | Logitech Illuminated keyboard | Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP-HC | HT Omega Claro Plus | Corsair AX750 gold power supply
Old December 20, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I like the Green line. As long as they are not used for OS drives (thats what the Black line are for) they are a kick arse storage kit. We will be reviewing the new 2TB model in the near future. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr