Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2009, 12:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on these drives here. I've found mixed things around other sites, some saying they're noisy, others saying they're slow.

It'll basically be a drive to store files and play media off of over the network. So nothing too crazy. It would also be in RAID1 (using Windows Server RAID), so I'd also like to know if these drives are fine in an array.

And I hear their latest revision is dual-platter instead of tri-platter, so comments on that would be good too if you have either one.

If your thoughts are negative, then what 1TB drive would you suggest?
As some have already said, they're fine for a single drive, or as part of a redundant RAID storage array, but not recommended for use as an operating system drive. Access time is painfully slow and you would sense it pretty quick. Good choice for RAID-1 or single drive use for misc storage space.