Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2009, 07:51 PM
Banned
F@H

Default So I get an Intel what I do now

SO I will have my Intel wenesday, my OS is on a 60 GB partition. Win 7 , 64 bits, ( like if I was planing to go SSD ) can I clone it to the SSD ? , or it's better to reinstall ( I know it's better but I just build this one so ...) , and what else I should do before......
Old December 14, 2009, 09:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You can clone from a mechanical drive to an SSD, but it won't bode well for performance.
You should unplug all hard drives/flash drives from the computer, set ahci mode in your bios and then install a fresh copy of Windoze 7.
The OS will align it differently because it's an SSD in comparison to a mechanical drive.
Old December 14, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

good advice there add your spinners after all drivers and tweaks make sure you rate your system with only the ssd in then add the hd's
Old December 15, 2009, 07:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
good advice there add your spinners after all drivers and tweaks make sure you rate your system with only the ssd in then add the hd's
I had a flash drive plugged into my system when I was installing Win7 and the install failed twice and I just couldn't figure out why. So unplugged the drive and voila, easy install.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

7 has some major lock down on hardware that's just is bull ( tricks of the trade i guess )
Old December 15, 2009, 08:23 AM
Banned
F@H

I guess with ahci I have to put the dvd drive on the gigabyte controller and let this one set on ide ?
Old December 15, 2009, 08:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, with my SSDs I've always left them in Legacy IDE mode.

IMHO, AHCI is over rated unless you need the hot swap abilities it offers...plus where I run mainly Indi SSD's they need to be in IDE mode to update the firmware so its one less hassle to worry about ;)

YMMV.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 15, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use ahci because i need hotswapping but it's not a big deal to switch and then switch right back ( you can install in ahci then switch back and forth from ide to ahci when needed I do it all the time )it will just install the driver that's need at boot
Old December 15, 2009, 10:04 AM
Banned
F@H

so why I have a suggestion to use ahci ? I said in the other post than I want the less hassle problem, after read the post of ayah and gingerbee, i was in the impression that I NEED ahci with SSD

if ahci is only better for the hot swap option. I guess I can live without it. In my case I see no use to hot swap, aside of change a defective drive in my raid 5 server

now the reason I want the less hassle possible, is not because I can't handle them, it's because I want to make a test setup that I can also suggest to my customer
Old December 15, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
so why I have a suggestion to use ahci ? I said in the other post than I want the less hassle problem, after read the post of ayah and gingerbee, i was in the impression that I NEED ahci with SSD

if ahci is only better for the hot swap option. I guess I can live without it. In my case I see no use to hot swap, aside of change a defective drive in my raid 5 server

now the reason I want the less hassle possible, is not because I can't handle them, it's because I want to make a test setup that I can also suggest to my customer
were on the same page if you don't use hotswaping then don't. but most people want to use esata drive now ( well my customers do ) so i have been use ahci a lot. and the reason is that some ssd's show a slight speed increase in ahci or ide depends on the ssd