Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2009, 09:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default IDE 2.5" and 3.5" USB Docking Station?

Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a SATA 2.5"/3.5" USB docking station and the thing works great, I can't believe i never bothered to buy something like this earlier.

My first question was though, Does anybody make a IDE 2.5"/3.5" docking station? I only ask because i checked the usual spots, DirectCanada, NewEgg and NCIX and they only carry IDE 2.5 or 3.5 drive enclosures, they don't appear to carry an IDE 2.5"/3.5" docking station.

And my second question is, if nobody makes a 2.5"/3.5" IDE docking station, can you buy for example a 3.5" IDE hard drive enclosure and use it for both 2.5" IDE and 3.5" IDE or is the adapter different on both for the IDE connection? I do not plan on ever having the enclosure sealed / put together. I would just try to use it like a docking station.

Or what would be another option for me?

Thanks in advance
Old December 19, 2009, 02:44 PM
MVP

As far as I know there is only SATA HD docking stations. However, there are adapters that will convert IDE or SATA to usb so you can transfer files from either IDE/SATA without having a external enclosure. You can also use it for DVD/CDroms as well.

Ultra makes one and tigerdirect.ca has it. Buy the Ultra USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter at TigerDirect.ca

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old December 19, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think there only sata ( one of the best buys i every did forget about enclosers they heat up way too much ah ah vantec crap ) not to point any fingers ha ha