Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Vertex SSD ?? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/26331-vertex-ssd.html)

Surk December 7, 2009 07:06 PM

Vertex SSD ??

I'm considering a 60G OCZ Vertex after reading such great reviews about them..anyone on HWC have them and what config, any probs etc.. This will be my 1st SSD and the only thing confusing thus far is firmware and flashing to me.. I was almost considering an SAS drive also for my graphic work PC..

gingerbee December 7, 2009 07:59 PM

vertex are indilinx there all the same ssd's at heart pretty much i have 2 x 64 gb gskill in raid0 and there fast as all hell same with my 2 x 32gb a-data's also indilinx and squeetard is running 3 x 60gb vertex i think. i would suggest getting a vertex for sure there the inside man at indilinx so the get there firmware a lot early then the rest and there the only one' who have garbage collection working i think.:punk:

Surk December 8, 2009 05:24 AM

The Vertex is suppose to be on par with the Intel ... I will be just using the Vertex as a boot drive..

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 298540)
vertex are indilinx there all the same ssd's at heart pretty much i have 2 x 64 gb gskill in raid0 and there fast as all hell same with my 2 x 32gb a-data's also indilinx and squeetard is running 3 x 60gb vertex i think. i would suggest getting a vertex for sure there the inside man at indilinx so the get there firmware a lot early then the rest and there the only one' who have garbage collection working i think.:punk:

jay51 December 8, 2009 05:27 AM

I use a 60 as boot..im very impressed..

Synth December 8, 2009 06:18 AM

I use 2x 30gb Vertex SSDs in RAID0 (ICH9R), and let me tell you, the system flies.

If you ever decide on raiding two Vertex drives, I can post the link to the latest firmware (1.40 & 1.41) that enables GC (garbage collection) on a Vertex SSD array (since trim.exe does not work with RAID arrays).

It effectively eliminates (or at least drastically reduces) long term slowdowns for SSD RAID arrays.

If you prefer single drive, go for it. Can't go wrong either way!

Squeetard December 8, 2009 06:26 AM

3-60bg in raid0. It's like having your os on a ramdrive. I flashed the 1.41b firmware that was pulled because of hibernation issues. I don't use hibernation so I have not bothered changing that. I have had no issues at all. I have my os and apps and games on it. I have yet to see a load screen of any kind.

Surk December 8, 2009 07:46 AM

Hmm, if I find 1 Vertex is not fasssst enough..I'll get another and Raid0 !!:thumb:

Varroa December 8, 2009 08:05 AM

I had alot of initial problems with mine but once I got all the problems worked it I love it as a OS/Programs drive!

Surk December 8, 2009 08:59 AM

Only real concern i have is flashing the firmware.. Is it true each flash you do, you lose your OS ??

gingerbee December 8, 2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surk (Post 298647)
The Vertex is suppose to be on par with the Intel ... I will be just using the Vertex as a boot drive..

all indilinx ssd's are close to intel read but most have a much faster write then the intel :thumb: