Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

can you use tony trim on raid setup and can it be used on all indilinx ssd i have gskill falcon 1. which are the same ssd as the vertex. thank for the info too never heard of tony trim it's tony from ocz's forums right?
Old December 8, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
can you use tony trim on raid setup and can it be used on all indilinx ssd i have gskill falcon 1.
No. If you're running raid you want to get the Garbage Collection firmware, which iirc, is 1.4. TonyTrim is 1.41. Or its the other way around.

Check the forums, its all there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
thank for the info too never heard of tony trim it's tony from ocz's forums right?
Yes.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 8, 2009, 11:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I tried part of the Tony Trim on a samsung IDE SSD and it worked well. I didn't do the "consolidate free space" since it was empty but I did do the cleaning part and it worked very well. It was developed to work on raid but you can confirm that in the OCZ forums.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old December 8, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
It was developed to work on raid but you can confirm that in the OCZ forums.
No, it wasnt. The TRIM commands do not get passed along the ICH10 controller to the SSD's. RAID will not get TRIM functionality until a new southbridge driver and maybe chip release by intel. Read the post.

Q: "Which FW should I use if I am running...........?"

A: If you are running 1 drive in IDE/AHCI Mode with Windows 7, IMO you want 1.40 for TRIM.
If you are running ANYTHING else, you want 1.41 for the GC.

Q: "Does TRIM work if I am using a RAID array?"

A: No, the drivers do not pass the command at this time.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 8, 2009, 11:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
No. If you're running raid you want to get the Garbage Collection firmware, which iirc, is 1.4. TonyTrim is 1.41. Or its the other way around.

Check the forums, its all there.

Yes.
I just checked and it DOES work on raid:

Guide For those in raid, or those who just want a drive with consolidated free space and clean Nand...bring on TONY-TRIM - OCZ Forum

Tony Trim is NOT TRIM, don't get them confused.

I ninja'd you!
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old December 8, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank sagath and varroa found it right away looks ok but have to watch how much you use this no? it writes the drive full to set it to full speed again will this not help kill it quicker?
link for anyone looking Guide For those in raid, or those who just want a drive with consolidated free space and clean Nand...bring on TONY-TRIM - OCZ Forum
@sagath it's meant for raid setup he says that it might not work for raid5 or 6 i think thank again all
Old December 8, 2009, 11:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes, it is harder on your SSD, that is why I said don't do it every day.

Old December 8, 2009, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
I just checked and it DOES work on raid:

Guide For those in raid, or those who just want a drive with consolidated free space and clean Nand...bring on TONY-TRIM - OCZ Forum

Tony Trim is NOT TRIM, don't get them confused.

I ninja'd you!
Ah. I see. I thought tonytrim was a nickname for 1.4x firmware, not some 3rd party 'utility' to 'create' trim.

My bad. I would still rather just have FW that works on my SSD's...my intel ones included.
Quote:
Old December 8, 2009, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default raid0 falcon 1 and 2 work ok

anyone see why this should not work falcon 1 and 2 in raid0. i think it should work fine just checking
Old December 8, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Ah. I see. I thought tonytrim was a nickname for 1.4x firmware, not some 3rd party 'utility' to 'create' trim.

My bad. I would still rather just have FW that works on my SSD's...my intel ones included.
ya me too the falcon firmware is kinda slow released and there forums downright suck sorry gskill