Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default bang for buck ssd's

these are new to me looking for a review just thought i would put the word out and see what others have heard
Newegg.ca - Patriot PS-100 PS32GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
Patriot Memory - Patriot Solid State Drives
Old December 7, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its a PHISON controller based drive. I've heard that it gets some down right anemic write speeds....but I've also heard the opposite and that it gets decent write speeds (i've also heard it has down right crappy latency, in the range of 1ms) BUT that is all hearsay as I don't have one to test. So I cant comment to much one way or the other (so the jury is still out on it)....but for the price I'd get a Kingston SSDNow V 40GB. Get two, raid em and you got a GREAT bang for your buck setup.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 7, 2009, 05:19 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
......but for the price I'd get a Kingston SSDNow V 40GB. Get two, raid em and you got a GREAT bang for your buck setup.
I think it's something I will look very serioulsy , I don't want to spend $ 600 in Intel drive with the actual soso trim technology,
Old December 7, 2009, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I think it's something I will look very serioulsy , I don't want to spend $ 600 in Intel drive with the actual soso trim technology,
haha, dude. Those kingston M+ series drives ARE intel drives

And just stick with the older firmware, or the newnewnew firmware, which is fine and has TRIM
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 7, 2009, 07:30 PM
Banned
F@H

yes they are half one ..... but , I don't want the $ 600 one... I will let them mature a little bit..
Old December 7, 2009, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i for one am glad to see more ssd's coming to market hopefully this 1 will not be a bunk offering but only time will tell. but if were looking for fast and cheap then Newegg.ca - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks