Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2009, 06:22 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Bad Sectors

I would like to partition my OS hard drive but found out that there are 2 bad sectors on it.
I tried using DParted to partition, but it says it cannot do that necause of damaged sectors.
is there a way to repair them or patition the drive ignoring them
Old December 5, 2009, 06:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

HDD Regenerator 1.71. This will make ur hdd run for 6 months approx, it will repair the bad sectors and takes a lot of time... maybe hours! best tool for the job though!
Old December 5, 2009, 07:02 AM
Banned
F@H

What model of HD are we talking about an how old it is ?
Old December 5, 2009, 07:07 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

it is a seagate 7200.7 160 gb model, so it is pretty old :).
should i try to recover directly under windows or from bootable usb (btw how do i boot from usb on p5q-e mobo)
Old December 5, 2009, 07:30 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Here is what the HDTune scan looks like
Attached Images

Old December 5, 2009, 08:41 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

looks like that program has recovered all of the bad sectors and the whole process took just 1 hour with this drive. ill just check with HDTune just to be sure. thank you for your help :D
Old December 5, 2009, 10:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisS View Post
I would like to partition my OS hard drive but found out that there are 2 bad sectors on it.
I tried using DParted to partition, but it says it cannot do that necause of damaged sectors.
is there a way to repair them or patition the drive ignoring them
The first and usually most effective way to attempt it is to use the drive manufacturer's own diagnostics,SEATOOLS in this case. The function you're looking for may be called erase disk, format, zero disk, and a few others, but you'll quickly learn which one by reading the instructions.

That WILL give you the most definitive and most accurate summary report of the status of the drive you can get simply because the routine WILL attempt a read AND a write to EVERY user sector on the drive. Others may not simply because they standardized throughout the industry. Use of non-drive specific software also does not guarantee that a problem in an otherwise "system only" area of the disk may be detected and or repair attempted by the same method.

What make and model number of drive do you have there? We can guide you through the procedure. I repeat, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A UNIVERSAL DO ANYTHING utility for ALL hard drives. One that comes closest to being one is the IBM (now Hitachi) Drive fitness test, but it too will lock out functions that are not exactly the same as theirs simply by it NOT being made by them. So, ALWATA start with the manufacturer's own diagnostics software. Let us know how it goes.
Old December 5, 2009, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

my drive is 7200.7, i do not want to erase it, i just want to partition it so that i can dual boot.
HDD Regenerator 1.71 has recovered bad sectors but i still cannot partition using gparted( it says i still have 2 bad sectors).
i will give seatools a try and report back.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

so i did the SMART check and long drive self test using seatools, and they both passed. i think that this is due to HDD Regenerator fixing those sectors.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sure It must have. Seatools is like most other sector checkers in that it is data destructive, meaning it must prove that both the read function and the write function to every sector on the disk works, with readback flux levels within their respective acceptable SMART range values.

What more than likely happened to your disk is that a power outage or glitch happened during an attempt to write to the disk. That's what actually causes 99% of bad sectors, and ALL of them when they are recovered so easily by using the erase/wipe/zero/format function(s). This obviously makes the function a very powerful troubleshooting tool in its own rite. Congrats on your good luck