Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2009, 01:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

that is correct.
after partitioning it i would like to dual boot with windows 7.
i have 122gb of free space on it.

can anyone just tell me how to use the --bad-sectors option, i tried typing in the dialoge box of gparted: ntfsresize --bad-sectors partition name(cant remeber), but it says that the partition is fine. When I do the same thing but with -info, i have 2 bad sectors. i did the chkdsk /f /r before and no luck.

Last edited by DenisS; December 7, 2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:01 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

standard disclaimer... no warranty, no guarantee, do this at your own risk, don't blame me if you lose all your data.

Here is a good tutorial. ntfsresize is only the first step. It only resizes the file system so you have to resize the partition when it is done. Just add the --bad-sectors switch when you do the resize.

Another option is to truncate the MFT records of the bad sectors. See here for some steps. After using ntfstruncate and chkdsk-ing the drive a couple times you should be able to use gparted to resize your partitions and it will not complain about the bad sectors.

repeated warning... these are the tools that should do what you want. You can make your computer unstable, unbootable, lose data, and other bad things if you do the wrong thing or make a mistake or things are not how you think they are. Best of luck and please let me know how you get along.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:23 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I did the reset of bad sectors, and everything seems to be working fine. Gparted now allows me to partition the drive, but i did not try to do so.Ii will report on the progress later today.

Update: I have created new partition and installed Windows 7 on it. So afr everything works perfectly

Thank you for your help Jack Rabbit .

Last edited by DenisS; December 9, 2009 at 03:42 AM.