Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2009, 06:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Raid 0 questions

Ok, so I now have 2 of these OCZ SSD's in Raid 0 and love the speed, but I have a few questions/concerns, being my first raid setup I'm not sure what to expect.
First of all, I'm using my motherboards onboard raid controller, When i set it up I removed my storage drives from the system and installed windows and such, once that was complete I hooked up my 640gb and 1tb WD storage drives. Now these drives are no longer detected at system post and instead are detected as single drives within the raid, Is this how it should be?
Also, does this make data loss on my storage drives as possible as on the 2 drives in the raid array?

I use HWMonitor Pro for sys temp monitoring, since settings this up it no longer detects my hard drive temps, is this normal with a raid setup? Is there a way I can monitor those temps? Its not ever been an issue having them get too hot but I just like having it available to me.

Last question is about backups. I use Acronis true image home which I'm going to assume many are familiar with here, is it a good idea to use its automatic backups, or will that effect system speed dramatically? I've never used that option before so I don't really know how it works..I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to use something like that using an SSD, will it cause alot more writing on my system disks doing its background tasks, or is it fine and won't hurt anything??

Thanks very much for anyone that can answer any or all of these.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:36 AM
Banned
F@H

yes it's normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzara View Post
I use HWMonitor Pro for sys temp monitoring, since settings this up it no longer detects my hard drive temps, is this normal with a raid setup? .
Old November 29, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

1. Yes, they are now controlled within the RAID controller and that is normal.
2. No, the data drives are not going to be prone to data loss should the RAID array have problems. They will still retain all data as long they are properly functioning on their own and they can be isntalled on a PC with no RAID at any time and still retain all your data.
3. No idea on HWMonitor PRO, never ran it. Besides, current HD's are nowhere near as sensitive to heat as they were a few years back.
4. I wouldn't use automatic backups unless you do alot of important work that would be a nightmare to lose. Otherwise, set it to run at night when you go to bed or something along those lines. Make sure it is writing the backups to one of the DATA drives since the RAID0 array should never be trusted to hold important data. Running auto backup will not stress the system drives with writing tasks since it will write to the data disks.
Old November 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sweet, thanks.
I figured I would just do an update image once a week or something.
I wasn't really concerned about my hard drives overheating, I'm just so used to seeing them there it kind of freaked me out when they weren't and wanted them back LOL
I'm actually using a 160GB External drive for backups. So according to your answers I'm all set.
Thanks again, just what I was looking for.