Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2009, 12:35 PM
Top Prospect

Default Raid Questions

I've all my videos collections on 1x300gb, 2x250gb, 1x500gb, 1x750gb, and 1xusb 250gb, 1xusb 1tb, approximaly 3.3tb data, yet i have never had a disk failed for over 5 years. Still, im a bit affraid that someday a disk will fail.

Am i only just lucky since i didnt lose any single disk that i have bought? I've seen everywhere people having drives goes bad. Is it because they use Raid and it stress more theses disk? Hence, higher chance that it break?

I plan on putting all my media in my htpc with (4xgreen caviar 1.5tb) and 1tb black caviar with 200gb partition for os and rest for recorded tv video. I dont mind about the noise. I just want a cheap media server/htpc that will be on 24h/24.

At first i wanted raid5, since i wont lose much TB, but then after reading somes thread, everyone advise agaist it. My motherboard doesnt support this raid5 so buying a radi controller over 200$ is out of question also.

My motherboard support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10 and JBOD. I am wondering what would be the cheapest way to have secure data? I think about raid 10, but then again cut my total 4x1.5 to 3tb only, leaving no room for new media.

Maybe i should just put single drive no raid in there, and *hope* it wont fail like my others old drive.

Htpc Spec:
nMediapc 6000b case
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AMD785G ATX AM3 2PCI-E DDR3 Video Sound GLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 3.0GHZ 2MB Cache 60W
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core I5 1 *IR-$5*
400W Seasonic PSU
Old November 27, 2009, 12:40 PM
Banned
F@H

Have you look a Microsoft Home Server ? . You can use duplication, (better than raid 1) , and even if the OS fail you can just plug the drive in any pc to get back the data. , but you need an extra pc for it.
Old November 27, 2009, 01:02 PM
Top Prospect

Can i put a microsoft home server on my htpc and watch tv? Is it compatible? Is the *duplication* you talk about software based ? Does it mean It need more processor power? Will my Htpc setup suffice? So many questions... sorry :)

edit: Im actually using windows 7 with SageTv and Hd-PVR for tv tuner.
Old November 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
Banned
F@H

All true some software may work in it...it's a server 2003 base OS..So it's will not be a good choice for a htpc... you have to build a computer especially for it.. this probably more expensive that what you look for.. But it's a very good solution. For your board raid, the problem is not the disk, it's the board. if you use raid 5 , you may be not be able to recover data if your board fail. You better to go with raid 1. If you use raid 10 , you still deal with striping . so it can be a problem also in case of board failure. You have to think not only the drives , but what make them run, especially whit striping ( raid 0 ) and raid 5
Old November 27, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how is it better than raid 1?
Old November 27, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used to use raid1 for all my data backups but what I do now is save the files to a specific drive and then run a e-sata backup once a week including the data drive along with my reg backups. That way you have a copy that you are able to use anytime and have it backed up on a drive that only powers on to back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 27, 2009, 01:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Set two of the greens up as RAID 0. Copy all your existing data to that RAID set and leave the old drives on the shelf as a backup. Next, Set the other two greens up as RAID 1 and use that for new data. Save your pennies for a new system and/or more drives when you fill the second RAID set.
Old November 27, 2009, 01:29 PM
Top Prospect

So raid 1 would be the best solution? Easiest recovery? Althought i dont like the idea to buy 2 drive for 1/2 space and my htpc has 5 hd slot. It would only get me 3tb max?

As for Windows home server, i dont have 2 desktop computer but they are in use and not on 24h/24.

What about put single drive not in raid in my htpc and backup to a NAS ? What i want primary is to have the maximum available disk space localy. How is backup throught NAS working ? Is it an image from drive that can get compressed? I know that would be crazy to backup 6TB data throught networth but i wonder will i need 6tb NAS as well? Or can this be cut down to less with compression?

Edit: the esata DAS backup would work good also I guess, but once again do i need the same space amount when doing backup?

Also, using raid 0 wouldnt help me in case a hard drive break, i would lose my data on both. Am i right?

Last edited by slay3r; November 27, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old November 27, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What did people say about RAID 5 that was bad?

.... it saved all my data for me....
Old November 27, 2009, 01:48 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
how is it better than raid 1?

1- You can use different size of drives, and don't loose space.
2- You can add a drive whenever you want
3- You duplicate only the folder you need
4- it's not dependent of a controller.
5- You can even use an external drive for the duplication
6- You can mix the JBOD and the Intel sata
7- No need to build the raid before install the os
8- A drive can be remove anytime

And many other that I forget