Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2009, 08:51 PM
Top Prospect

In fact, i've just bought the htpc at ncix and its on his way.
I am actually using the prescott 640, (3.2ghz, P5LD2, 4gb ram, Asus 9600GSO) for tv but will prolly go back to desktop once i receive this budget htpc.
I am also planning to go gbit lan by buying a new router. Probably the D-LINK DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router 802.11G/B Draft N Wireless Router Triple Antenna QoS has nice review.

Here is the Htpc spec:
nMediapc 6000b case /w lcd
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AMD785G ATX AM3 2PCI-E DDR3 Video Sound GLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 3.0GHZ 2MB Cache 60W
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core I5 1 *IR-$5*
400W Seasonic PSU

I dont think i will be adding anything else than disks to this setup. If the integrated Ati Hd 4200 is not good enough, (which i doubt), will prolly put the 9600gso.

does the fact that the psu come with 4 sata power cables mean it cant go over ? Even thought i've seen molex to sata on sale

I will go check the calculator...
Old November 27, 2009, 09:02 PM
Top Prospect

umm, it say 188Watt with my setup and 4green caviar + 1black (its high rpm sata?). How accurate is this calculator?
I couldnt put anywhere that i had an integrated graphic processor like another random calculator i used.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay3r View Post
IAm i only just lucky since i didnt lose any single disk that i have bought? I've seen everywhere people having drives goes bad. Is it because they use Raid and it stress more theses disk? Hence, higher chance that it break?
No. RAID doesn`t stress HDDs.

RAID-0 uses more drives to store the same amount of data without redundancy, so theoretically there`s an increased risk of data loss at the same HDD failure rate.

I also have suffered minimal HDD failure over the years. I attribute it with taking extra care in mounting. I use high-quality cases with rubber grommets. I space the HDDs out so that no HDDs are adjacent to each other. I always assure a good supply of cooling air around them.

I used a set of four IBM Deathstar 75GXPs in RAID-0 for over five years without an issue, migrating the array between three different motherboards with three different Highpoint RAID controllers.

No, RAID doesn`t endanger data, but it doesn`t really protect it either. It is not a reliable means of data security. It is a convenient way to recover from single-drive (or in some cases two drive) failure without downtime. It doesn`t protect against malware, fire, flood, theft, operator error or any of the other ways that data is lost simultaneously on mirrored HDDs.

Real data security comes from multiple offsite backups.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks you for clearing this up! Very instructive!
Old December 3, 2009, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

in regards to raid cards being expensive yes they can be . How ever the current raid card i am running cost me less than $130 bucks used and is a solid performer. Check ebay for Dell perc 5/i (for raid 5 support) or Dell perc 6/i (for raid 6 support) you will need to do some modding (adding back plates and such). but for the price you can't beat these cards since they are SAS raid cards meaning you can either hook up 8 Sata drives witht eh righ breakout cables or hook them up to SAS expanders. Don't let the dell branding fool you it basically an LSI Mega RAID card underneath .