Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2009, 03:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default My SSD Experience

I went into the computer store yesterday with the intention of buying the G.Skill Falcon as it was the only model they had in stock other then the OCZ Solid Series..Something told me to save the 100$ and try the Solid. I wandered around the store arguing with myself and decided if worse came to worse and it gave me trouble I would suck up the restocking fee and get the g.skill. I really had a good feeling about the purchase afterwords but still kept second guessing myself.
Installed it in my system, less then 20 min later I was at a windows 7 desktop. I was shocked it was that fast. Windows startup is incredibly fast (20 seconds to desktop from post I timed it several times)
Been screwing around all day and so far I'm very happy with the performance. After reading so many bad reviews on newegg and forums I'm wondering if its people running them with XP that are really having a bad time?
My only complaint is I need another one to raid them, not for the speed, for the space!
Old November 26, 2009, 03:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The problems start to crop up after you have used them for awhile. At first they are fast but when they run out of free blocks....stuttering can happen. THAT is the only down side to the old Solid line.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 26, 2009, 03:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well I guess i better buy a second one so I don't get too low on space.

I read literally 100s of posts where people had issues from the getgo with these.

I also came to wonder if the little tweaks might confuse alot of people and they might do something wrong. I'm fairly savvy and can figure things out but frankly it was a pain in the ass going through all those OCZ forums for the proper tweaks and following all the instructions.
Old November 26, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i have this down too a fast setup i just use these tweaks and they work great and don't take long at all Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks
not sure what controller this is but my jmicron's ssd work great have no regret's