Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2009, 09:26 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default OCZ Agility EX 60GB SSD Review Comment Thread

SSDs are gaining popularity at a staggering pace and OCZ has been leading the charge into this lucrative field. With their new EX series, they are pushing the performance envelope once again. While the price may be high, this drive is capable of beating the best that the competition has to offer even though it doesn’t have the capacity of some of some other products. But is EX’s price premium worth it?

You can find the review here: OCZ Agility EX 60GB SSD Review

Please use this thread for your questions and comments.

Enjoy!

Old November 25, 2009, 11:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

...want. Want want want.

Great review. Seems like a great product. The price ratio makes me a little dizzy, though. But TRIM out of the box! I'm doing research on other SSDs and TRIM support or firmware upgrades seem strangely rare. This would be a fun upgrade over my 500 GB HDD once I have money saved.

I do have a question for you though, regarding the numbers from the chart on page 8... a large number of your benchmarks are stuck on an average just between 225-230 MB/s. Is this due to SATA II bandwidth limits? That has been my understanding, anyway. What will we need to see a drive substantially improve over that 230 MB/s cap?
Old November 26, 2009, 04:47 AM
Banned

Very nice review but there is an error in the conclusion. You said APEX instead of AGILITY.

Just thought that I would point that out.
Old November 26, 2009, 05:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post

I do have a question for you though, regarding the numbers from the chart on page 8... a large number of your benchmarks are stuck on an average just between 225-230 MB/s. Is this due to SATA II bandwidth limits? That has been my understanding, anyway. What will we need to see a drive substantially improve over that 230 MB/s cap?
Good question. I would think that their is still a bit more room on the sata bus then ~230. I know overhead exists but I cant see it being that much. I think the issue is more then likely just the first gen controllers capping out around there.

The two things that would allow these drives to improve over that cap are:
1) RAID setups. This only works for two drives (realistically), which nets you around ~570MB/s transfer rate. You can add a third, but your xfer rates dont scale nearly as well as the first additional drive since the ICH10 southbridge caps out at ~600MB/s
2) New controllers. Companies that build drives are the ones that push the technology. Look at SATA6, and usb 3.0. Drives exist, as do USB3 devices, yet motherboards -just- started comming out with it. So we need companies to start pushing SATA6 on SSD's and getting new controllers to handle SATA6 and its bandwith. Its one of those Catch22's. What came first, the Chicken (SATA6) or the egg (SSD Controller)?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 26, 2009, 05:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its most likely a Bigfoot controller limitation, but than again....it could just be the ICH 9 I'm using. I'm in the process of working on a new testbed: i7 920 w/ the newest Marvel "sata 3.0" controller. :)

I can honestly say I was very impressed with the newest firmware & TRIM, but where it has cell life to burn (100k) I've actually gone with the ITGC (1.4.1) firmware. Its a bit faster than 1.4 and while its harder on the cells....its not THAT much harder! Hell to be honest I love this SSD. It has replaced my Torqx 128 (fastest of the 3 MLC Indilinx I reviewed) in my laptop as my "goto SSD" as it has made win 7 even faster.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 26, 2009, 07:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post

As AkG said, I don't think we are reaqching any system limits but rather limits of a particular controller. If I am not mistaken, all of those SSDs which are "stuck" at a certain performance level are all using the same Indilinx controller which could be a limiting factor.

We are going to be using a revised testbed but from my own testing, there really aren't any good SATA3 solutions right now. HOWEVER, AMD's new chipset will have native SATA 6Gbps support without the need for PLX switches or additional latency-inducing host controllers.
Old November 26, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, SATA2's real world practical limits are around 260-270MB/s, so I'd guess it's the controller as well.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Great review as always, and this drives kicks some azz.. Pretty fast..
Now unless I read too fast, or something I couldn't find a price in the review, what are we looking at a price point for this SSD?
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 26, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Great review as always, and this drives kicks some azz.. Pretty fast..
Now unless I read too fast, or something I couldn't find a price in the review, what are we looking at a price point for this SSD?
Anywhere from $400 - 450. Its expensive but oh so worth it. Though I would expect the price to drop after CES 2010 and Sata 3 SSD's come onto the scene ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 26, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Oh well thank you sir.. Yes that is expensive, although the performance for the drive, it sounds about right.. Expensive for me though
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution