Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2009, 08:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default WD Caviar Black 640GB'ers in Raid 0

Just a few seconds ago I ordered two WD Caviar Black 640GB'ers for a Raid 0 config that will replace my 150GB Raptor. (I really want a SSD but they're too damn expensive! )

Now, I know I'll see a good increase in boot-up, game loading, and large file tranfer times..... but how much more speed should I expect to see over the Raptor? I've been trying to find some good solid info in other forums but too many people have different opinions. I'm assuming that the ones who didn't see any benefits running Raid 0 didn't have a decent setup or just didn't do it properly. I'll be using the raid controller on the mobo in my specs.

Does anyone here running Raid 0 have any tips for me regarding performance tweaks?
I read that short-stroking the hard drives will help with random access times. Does it really make a big difference? I don't need 1.3TB of space in my PC so short-stroking won't bother me. I'll likely end up trying it anyway just to see. I also read that stripe size is critical for speed performance. Any input on that one?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old November 23, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't run Raptors or Blacks in a raid but short stroking my 500's netted me a little boost, from 180MBs avg to 205-210MBs avg, my access avg stayed pretty much the same as just partition rather than short stroked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 23, 2009, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know what kind of RAID architecture AMD uses on their board, but you basically just answered your own question: it will perform faster than that ANCIENT Raptor that you have. MUCH FASTER.

Short stroking will keep speeds more constant because it will only use the outer sectors of the disk. Use at your own risk.
Old November 25, 2009, 02:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I haven't run Raptors or Blacks in a raid but short stroking my 500's netted me a little boost, from 180MBs avg to 205-210MBs avg, my access avg stayed pretty much the same as just partition rather than short stroked.
Is there a sweet spot when short-stroking a drive, or will it just be a "try it and see" process? Some say to use 20% of each drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I don't know what kind of RAID architecture AMD uses on their board, but you basically just answered your own question: it will perform faster than that ANCIENT Raptor that you have. MUCH FASTER.

Short stroking will keep speeds more constant because it will only use the outer sectors of the disk. Use at your own risk.
I know it will perform faster, that's obvious. What I was asking is if anyone could tell me HOW MUCH FASTER so that I'll know what to expect once the raid setup is running. BTW, what do you mean by "use at your own risk"?
Old November 25, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to the club kill.. I got a 640gbx2 RAID going on, just got myself a WD 1TB Black for storage.. SSD's are really expensive, and the ones that are cheap the Idlinx ones aren't any good..

You'll see some difference for sure.. Although curious myself too why bojang said "use at own risk"..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 25, 2009, 03:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Welcome to the club kill.. I got a 640gbx2 RAID going on, just got myself a WD 1TB Black for storage.. SSD's are really expensive, and the ones that are cheap the Idlinx ones aren't any good..

You'll see some difference for sure.. Although curious myself too why bojang said "use at own risk"..
Hey Miggs, did you short stroke your 640's? If so what size did you find worked best? Also what kind of numbers do you get from HDTune (if you've ever ran it)?
Old November 25, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I said use at own risk because I've never done it before, so I don't know the risks...I should have said that before lol. My bad. There probably aren't any though lol.
Old November 25, 2009, 03:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well one risk that I do know of is that there is twice the risk of losing your data if one of the drives happen to shit the bed. I never store any files of value on my rig anyhow........ but besides, WD makes reliable hdd's.
Old November 25, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Well one risk that I do know of is that there is twice the risk of losing your data if one of the drives happen to shit the bed. I never store any files of value on my rig anyhow........ but besides, WD makes reliable hdd's.
Just so you know it's impossible to make them all %100 reliable.
Old November 25, 2009, 04:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Just so you know it's impossible to make them all %100 reliable.
Really? I thought Maxtor did.

Seriously though, I know that it's impossible to make them all %100 reliable. The same goes for practically anything you buy.