Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2009, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I ran my 640GB Blacks in RAID0 briefly, didn't short stroke though, since then you loose so much space.

But to be honest, I noticed no difference, so I just put them back to two single drives. Then at least I can keep my documents/photos/etc on their own drive. Makes me feel a bit safer.
Old November 25, 2009, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, got that setup going myself. Not a huge improvement in day-to-day operations, although large file transfers are pretty much twice as fast. I'm seriously considering splitting my own 2 up, and stick multimedia on one of them, with OS/programs on the other, as I suspect I may actually see improvements in some areas, simply because I can have the drives seeking for two different things at once.

Short-stroking was largely a non-issue for me, since my defrag moves everything towards the outer edge of the platters.
Old November 25, 2009, 08:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Short-stroking was largely a non-issue for me, since my defrag moves everything towards the outer edge of the platters.
I'm going to assume the defrag in windows doesn't do that. What program are you using?
Old November 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

There are several programs that will do this, but many don't. I'm using the Auslogics defragger V3 (the earlier versions don't do this). In the options, you can tell it to arrange system files towards the outer edges while it defrags. It's a pretty slow process the first time, though.
Old November 25, 2009, 09:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice! Thanks MpG. I'll check out some others too and see how they work.
Old November 26, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Hey Miggs, did you short stroke your 640's? If so what size did you find worked best? Also what kind of numbers do you get from HDTune (if you've ever ran it)?
I did, but some time back, although getting my 1TB drive soon, that's when I completely reformat and make 2 partitions, one for OS only, one for games, and all the other data (music, software, movies, docs go into the 1TB).. then I can do a HDTune for you.. but don't expect till like weekend, I got exams coming up next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I said use at own risk because I've never done it before, so I don't know the risks...I should have said that before lol. My bad. There probably aren't any though lol.
C'mon off course, well do it and then tell us the risks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I ran my 640GB Blacks in RAID0 briefly, didn't short stroke though, since then you loose so much space.

But to be honest, I noticed no difference, so I just put them back to two single drives. Then at least I can keep my documents/photos/etc on their own drive. Makes me feel a bit safer.
Exactly why I decided not to Short stroke..

Well nice to know MpG.. I never knew you could do that with a defrag utility..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 30, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I recently transferred about 800GB of files from a RAID5 array in my file server to my WD 640's in RAID0 over gigabit LAN and was pleased to see a transfer rate of around 85-90 MB/s. Took hardly any time at all. Once I get my other to WD 640's, I'll have 2 in RAID0 at the full size, and 2 in RAID0 stroked down to 220GB (or 110GB per drive). The whole machine needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, though, so it'll be a good long while before I have anything to bench unfortunately.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!