Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   V series in my lappy (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/25382-v-series-my-lappy.html)

tri5cui7 November 10, 2009 11:32 AM

V series in my lappy

Hello
long time reader, first time former. I've recently bought a kingston V-series SSD model number SNV125-S2BD, NCIX had them on sale for 115, couldn't pass it up. I've read a few reviews and I'm not to worried about the supposed stuttering issue from the JM controller. I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with said product and if so are they pleasant or not?

Also if anyone reads this is it best to do a fresh install of windows 7, the package come with a program to copy the hard drive to the SSD. Would that be the better option?

If anyone expresses interest I can post some before and after results, can anyone recommend a good free HD testing package I have HD tune.
Thanks!

gingerbee November 10, 2009 12:07 PM

what size is it because the 40 gb ones are not the jmicron controller it's an intel gen 2 34nm just cut down from what anandtech is say

AkG November 10, 2009 12:23 PM

Gingerbee is correct, if you have the SNV125-S2BD/40GB.....that is one kick ass bang for your buck drive you picked up. Drop two of them in RAID 0 and you basically / kinda sorta have a X25M gen2 on the cheap.

No need to worry about stutters. The only issue is that the Intel 2nd gen controller doesn't scale down worth spit. Your 40Gb will be half as fast as the 80gb model....but for the price it is hard to beat.

As for your clone or not to clone question....I prefer to start fresh with SSD upgrades, and THEN make an aconis true image backup image (Home 2010 is guaranteed to work with Win7 and is cheap insurance), so that the next time I upgrade my SSD I just have to restore from backup. YMMV, but fresh installs are the way to go when swapping out a hard drive for a solid state drive.

MarkOne November 10, 2009 12:46 PM

Don't 7 have have a way to make restore disk ? ( hope I phrase it well )

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 285542)
. .

As for your clone or not to clone question....I prefer to start fresh with SSD upgrades, and THEN make an aconis true image backup image (Home 2010 is guaranteed to work with Win7 and is cheap insurance), so that the next time I upgrade my SSD I just have to restore from backup. YMMV, but fresh installs are the way to go when swapping out a hard drive for a solid state drive.

grinder November 10, 2009 01:20 PM

i run the V series in my lappy (128GB) and am quite pleased. The laptop is deadly silent with a SSD drive, but it's hard to tell if i am getting longer battery life out of my 4 cell =P. I did not bench when i got mine as i bought a new laptop and SSD at the same time (so no before/after numbers)

On my model, the studder IS PRESENT but difficult to notice. Though i don't game on my laptop (maybe gaming will be a factor if this is an annoyance or not?).

I think the re-install vs. cloning question has a very simply answer really. Do YOU think your current install is stale and bloated? If so, the answer is quite obvious (clean install win7 on your new SSD).

Enjoy the new SSD Drive, for the price it is hard to complain!!

AkG November 10, 2009 01:49 PM

The change to Intel from the JM controller in V series is very recent. Easy rule of thumb is if its a number like 40/80/160 it is most likely an Intel controller. 32/64/128 = older Jm controller.

tri5cui7 November 10, 2009 01:56 PM

The model I have is the older Vseries, I picked it up on sale for cheap. The capacity is 64GB and it definately uses the jm controller, although I read that the stutter associated with it is either non present or not a big issue as grinder mentioned.
As for a fresh install that's not an issue. I actually just installed Windows 7 on my laptop about a week ago, I have all my programs on my pc at home so it won't take long at all to reinstall everything.

gingerbee November 10, 2009 03:46 PM

I have 3 x warp ssd that have the jmicron602b controller and i can tell you they work great if your using it as a boot drive apply the tweaks here and your good to go no stutter at all running one in my htpc at the moment. these work for vista too Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks

grinder November 10, 2009 05:26 PM

o! thanks for the link-age gingerbee

tri5cui7 November 11, 2009 08:26 AM

I second that thanks to gingerbee!