Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2009, 06:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
I have 3 x warp ssd that have the jmicron602b controller and i can tell you they work great if your using it as a boot drive apply the tweaks here and your good to go no stutter at all running one in my htpc at the moment. these work for vista too Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks

Are those the only tweaks needed. I was going over tweaks at the OCZ forum and left with a headache. I bought a Vertex and I am trying to figure out how I am gonna go about setting it up but, it seems I need some help. I am left wondering what the definite tweaks one must apply to these things are.
Old November 11, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there are a whole bunch more little ones that can be done. the only one that i would add is turning of readyboot
how to from here[ How to disable ReadyBoot in Vista - Future Producers ]

Windows Vista/7: Disabling ReadyBoot

Here's how to disable ReadyBoot (not ReadyBoost) in Windows Vista. Launch the "Reliability and Performance Monitor" program (via Vista's Administrative Tools or via any of the other routes to launch this program). Then on the lefthand side of your screen click "Data Collector Sets", and underneath that heading click "Startup Event Trace Sessions". Now on your righthand side you'll see a list that includes ReadyBoot, and you'll see the word 'enabled' beside the word 'Readyboot'. Double clicking the list item brings up the ReadyBoot Properties dialog. This dialog has a number of tabs. Pick the "Trace Session" tab. Finally, uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox on that tab.
Old November 11, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1 disable page file/ move to a spinner
2 turn off system restore
3 turn off all the services . windows indexing . superfetch . Readyboost
4 turn off readyboot
5 set firefox to memory only/ or use opera/chrome
6 disable defrag
Old November 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hmmm, I wonder...

Can we set system restore to use another HDD for it's back-ups?
Old November 12, 2009, 04:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes you can if you need it ( just put it on a spinner then set a restore point. done )
Old November 12, 2009, 08:33 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

humm, so a 40GB v-series would be a cheap but very nice upgrade for a laptop right? nice cost/performance ratio?
Old November 12, 2009, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLg View Post
humm, so a 40GB v-series would be a cheap but very nice upgrade for a laptop right? nice cost/performance ratio?
thats kinda where the thinking is going .
Old November 12, 2009, 08:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been looking at SSD's for a system drive. I want something fairly large though and have been looking at these. Most are just out of my price range and I have a hard time justifying it, however these are not so bad and I was looking at them and when I saw comparisons they seemed just slightly faster then the velociraptor, which I was considering before hearing about SSD's which made me wonder if it would even be worth it unless I went to one of the higher end ones.
Would I see a difference with one of these in my main rig or would the difference only be in benchmarks and such?
Old November 12, 2009, 09:32 AM
Rookie
F@H

Those are great boot drives - I would turn off defrag, hibernation and drive indexing but outside of that a lot of the tweaks dont' have that great a return IMO.
Old November 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzara View Post
I've been looking at SSD's for a system drive. I want something fairly large though and have been looking at these. Most are just out of my price range and I have a hard time justifying it, however these are not so bad and I was looking at them and when I saw comparisons they seemed just slightly faster then the velociraptor, which I was considering before hearing about SSD's which made me wonder if it would even be worth it unless I went to one of the higher end ones.
Would I see a difference with one of these in my main rig or would the difference only be in benchmarks and such?
With any of the 2nd generation SSDs (and I don't include Jmicron controlled V's in that category) you WILL see a huge difference.

The best bang for your buck SSDs right now include the OCZ Agility and GSkill Falcon 2. For their price they are hard to beat and irregardless of what some forum members will say they WILL eat a VRaptor 300GB in real world use. I know as I have used most SSDs out there and own the Vraptor 300GB. Vraptor losses and losses badly.

I have not (yet) tested the Kingston SSDnow V 40gb but where it is a cut down Intel X25M gen 2....it has great potential, and TWO Raided together would make one potent setup on the cheap. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr