Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2009, 04:18 PM
Banned
F@H

Default Disk Cloning and SSD

I donít feel tonight to make google search, so I said why not ask here, an it can be a very interesting tread too.. let say I have a WD disk with an OS on it, can I use a software as Drive Clone to clone the drive on a new SSD, of course of the same or greater capacity. I ask because Iím sure it will happen to me soon to do so.

Old November 9, 2009, 05:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I can't imagine why not.
Old November 11, 2009, 09:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I can't imagine why not.
Doesn't Windows 7 partition or otherwise manage an SSD drive differently than most software? I read somewhere that other software puts the data in the middle of the drive (or something) that isn't optimal. If you aren't using Windows 7, then I guess it isn't something to really worry about. But then again, if you have an SSD, I am convinced you want Windows 7 for TRIM.

So, with that being said, I think some more research should be done about the pros and cons of cloning to an SSD rather than a clean install using Windows 7 (and using something like 7's "Windows Easy Transfer" to transfer user data over).
Old November 12, 2009, 04:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

windows 7/vista they all need tweaks because they don't handle ssd properly . and you don't need 7 for an ssd they work great with any os ( if it worked for a hd then you should be fine doing it to an ssd )
Old November 12, 2009, 09:30 AM
Rookie
F@H

Drive Snapshot is listed as software used under one of the OCZ guides on their forums. I've heard that different Ghost and Acronis apps can affect the partition align if you don't do it previously in diskpar.
Old November 12, 2009, 10:24 AM
Banned
F@H

I think I will not use cloning anymore... I will made a fresh install.. after over hundreds of cloning. this morning I clone my office computer HD to and other one. I use Drive Clone paid version... guess what.. it finish and said to shut down as usally... I switch for the new drive... not able to boot. first time happen