Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2009, 06:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Question eSATA user experience?

I bought a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA thing and it is not working the way I assumed it would. When I plug it in nothing happens. If I 'detect new hardware' in the device manager the system finds the drive and mounts it fine and ditto for removal. I had assumed I would get a notification just like when you plug in a USB drive of some kind. I also expected to have the 'remove hardware' icon to show up in the task tray but it doesn't. It is also s l o w. I assume this is because the Marvel controller on my mainboard is a POS.

Do you have eSATA on your mainboard or an expansion card? Do you get plug and unplug notices and the remove hardware icon? What make and model are you using?

Thank you in advance.
Old November 8, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i get no notice at all with mine it just shows up under my computer like the rest do you have your sata ports set to ahci in the BIOS for plug and play to work
Old November 9, 2009, 05:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have never had much luck with esata. Some controller work fine and others suck. It is very hit and miss. The ones that work show the drive automatically, no user intervention required.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old November 9, 2009, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if your having problems with on-board e-sata just use the south bridge and get your self and e-sata adapter that goes in a pci bracket out the back of your computer. make sure yor sata are on ahci and plug and play in the bios.
Old November 9, 2009, 11:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
... The ones that work show the drive automatically, no user intervention required.
Does it just show up or do you get a notification popup and sound? Also, how do you unplug it? Just yank the cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
if your having problems with on-board e-sata just use the south bridge and get your self and e-sata adapter that goes in a pci bracket out the back of your computer. make sure yor sata are on ahci and plug and play in the bios.
Can you suggest a card or manufacturer you have used successfully?

Thanks for the input folks.
Old November 9, 2009, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

External SATA / eSATA Adapter
and i am pretty sure e-sata has no pop-up just a your drive is ready and that's only sometimes. i just pull the plug then turn the power off ( i have found that vista does not like e-sata drives pluged in well there not power cause's stutter.
The adapter just plugs into your south bridge then just set sata controller to ahci for plug and play to work.
NCIX.com - Buy eSATA to SATA Adapter Female/Female ( 150MBPS /300 Mbps ) Shielded Connector - AD-eSATA-SATA In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Startech 2 Port eSATA Controller Adapter Card PCI-E - PEXESATA2 In Canada.

Last edited by gingerbee; November 9, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old November 9, 2009, 05:08 PM
Banned
F@H

I use a LaCie external enclosure on my Intel board since 2 years in eSata mod. The LaCie have usb, eSata, fire wire etc, when I want to use it I just flip the switch at the back…. But I have a fade remembrance to have try to put some files on it from an Asus board, don’t really remember it but I was not able, something indicate me than I have to reboot or adjust something in the BIOS, as I was in the hurry I do not take care.. and simply unplug the eSata and use USB . for now the LaCie have no HD inside so I can’t test it now..

Tags
blacx , esata