Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2009, 03:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Man, for the price i would much rather stick with 2x1.5TB :P. Still have space in the case for it so why not
Old February 9, 2010, 05:48 AM
Rookie

The real world data transfer rates indicate that this drive isn't too much slower than the summit.So would it be seriously slower than an agilty 60 gb?Would the agilty read like twice faster than this one?I would appreciate an estimation.Thanks for your time.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:49 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good question smn123,

The short answer is that while the Agility may not be considered the fastest SSD out there,they will eat any spindle drive for breakfast. IF you can get by with a heck of a lot less space the Agility is a very good choice. If you need more space on your C drive than SSDs can offer, but still want a very fast system, the 2TB Black would be my next choice for most people. :)

The long more boring answer is, the real world transfers tests were designed to see if a given device can handle high demands being placed on it and to help highlight any weaknesses (or strengths) their is in the controller, firmware, cache algorithms or storage medium. High times, when compared to other similar models (i.e HDD vs HDD or SSD vs SSD) indicate something is not right with a unit and there maybe an issue that WILL be noticeable to the end user. Same goes for low times, low times means that a unit is a real beast and will improve how fast your system "feels" to you. But only when comparing apples to apples. Latency is just as important (if not more so) than shear speed when it comes to system responsiveness and the difference really is huge between SSD and HDDs. As good as the 2TB Black is, when it comes to being used as a OS drives the Blacks(or any HDD, including the VRaptor) cant hold a candle to a current generation SSD.

Hope that helps. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 4, 2011, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I want to ressurect this to compare the 2TB Black with the newer WD1002FAEX 1TB Black. I read from another review website that this newer 1TB Black uses the same 2-actuator and processor as the 2TB cousin. However from that reveiw, they said the 2TB Black is still faster. Would HW Canucks be open to reviewing the WD1002FAEX? Does anyone know why the 2TB driver is faster than the 1TB cousin when they are essentially the same specs?
Old January 5, 2011, 03:19 PM
Rookie

No sure about the comparison of the 1 vs 2 TB but I have the 2TB as my secondary drive to my SSD drive and this harddrive can really perform! If you are into the 2TB then get this.

JB..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanhime View Post
Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I want to ressurect this to compare the 2TB Black with the newer WD1002FAEX 1TB Black. I read from another review website that this newer 1TB Black uses the same 2-actuator and processor as the 2TB cousin. However from that reveiw, they said the 2TB Black is still faster. Would HW Canucks be open to reviewing the WD1002FAEX? Does anyone know why the 2TB driver is faster than the 1TB cousin when they are essentially the same specs?
Old January 5, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanhime View Post
I can't make any guarantees but I will see what we can do.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr