Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
Top Prospect

Default RAID

I got a new kick @$$ gaming comp in the summer. It works great but I cant help but want more. My old comp was a dell and the harddrive crashed. So i got a new one. A seagate 7200.11 500gb which works great. But, as it is still a p4 dell, it a piece of $hit. So why waste a perfectly good harddrive on it.
My brother has an imac and when he got it, it had a 500gb WD Caviar SE16 (WD5000AAKS) but he upgraded it to a 1TB WD Black (the same kind in my new comp). So now I have 2 500gb hard drives. And lots of time to waste so I want to raid them.

My question is, will there be any compatibility issues with using 2 HDDs with different brands. They have the same RPM, but different caches and slightly different speeds. Should they still work? Ive never done raid before, so I dont know much about it. Ive never done raid before but I have an idea of what to do. And the manual from my mobo should say something about it. (All the stats are in my sig if it helps). Does anyone have any tips that would help me out? Is there any risk of doing any damage?

Thnx

Corsair HX1000W PSU

WD 1TB Black Cavair

Gigabyte UD-5 MoBo

Corasair 1600Mhz 6GB RAM

eVGA GTX 275
Thermalright Ultra 120
Window 7 Premium 64-bit

Samsung 275T Plus
Old October 25, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's easy just setup your raid in the raid controller during boot ( ctrl + I key to get into raid bios for intel anyways ) then switch the sata config to raid and then do a fresh install and when you get to the screen where windows ask what disk to use you should see the raided disk as 1 disk only. it size should equal that of both the hd's used . then just set your boot to boot from raid after install

as long as there the same size your good to go.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Top Prospect

Im just using the onboard raid on the mobo. Does anyone have experience with this mobo? Theres white plugs and blue plugs. The white plugs are for raid right? And I dont want to reinstall the system yet. Im waiting till i get windows 7. I just wanna know I can make it work before I reinstall everything.

Corsair HX1000W PSU

WD 1TB Black Cavair

Gigabyte UD-5 MoBo

Corasair 1600Mhz 6GB RAM

eVGA GTX 275
Thermalright Ultra 120
Window 7 Premium 64-bit

Samsung 275T Plus
Old October 26, 2009, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the white plugs are just for the jmicron controller on the board i think ( i don't have the ud5 i have teh ds4 ) and what i said is using the on board raid on. your ich10r will be on the 6 blue ports those are the ones you use for the the ich10r raid