Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2009, 02:06 PM
MVP

Default Which SSD/combination for OS drive?

Alright, so I've finally decided to get rid of my raptors and jump onto the SSD train. Now I have a few questions.

There's currently 3 different configurations I'm considering for a SSD setup. Single top of the line drive such as the G2 Intel 80gb. 2 Smaller OCZ 60gb drives in raid 0, or 3 30gb OCZ drives in raid 0. Will I notice a performance increase going to a raid setup? Or will I not even be able to notice the difference? I have zero experience with SSDs and no real gauge on their performance.

I know alot of you are running the Intel SSD's, anyone out there with a raid setup?

Also, this TRIM function I keep hearing about in Win 7. Is this something that just works in the background? or is it a program I have to run every once and a while?

Thanks!
Old October 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2 G.Skill Falcon's or maybe 2 Corsair P64's. Let me look at their prices though, they might be expensive. I'm not exactly an expert on SSD's though...

EDIT: NVM, those drives cost too much.
Old October 25, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, unless you need to the extra space for your "C" drive. Raid'ing modern SSDs like the Intel and Indilinx controller based ones are....shall we say "overkill". IMHO start out with one and see if that is fast enough. ;)

Does it really matter if it takes 0.5 of a second to load a program vs. 0.75?

Basically Native OS TRIM works in the background and what it does is tell the drive to not only mark data as deleted but actually erase that section of the drive and make it back into its virgin state. Thus no slow downs. You dont have to do anything. OCZ Vertex & Agility (both very good drives for the price) can do this now w/ fw 1.41. BUT you need a TRIM aware OS, like Windows 7 (for example).

What is your budget? What size do you need/want/desire for your OS drive?

If you can get by with 80GB, the X25M gen 2 is hard to beat. If you need more....the Vertex 120GB is hard to beat.
IF you need more than 120. THEN I say get a TWO 80gbs and Raid them.
IF money is no object....look into the various OCZ Z-Drives. ;)
If money is a concern....but only secondary. Look into the OCZ Colossus. 3.5 Form Factor w/ TWO Indilinx SSDS raided. Supposedly allows TRIM commands to be passed through. VERY sweet drive.

IF you can get by with 60GB AND want an EXTREMELY fast SSD that will last even longer than others look into SLC (single layer cells) SSDs like the OCZ Agility EX or Vertex EX. I recently tested the Agility EX and I was so impressed with it....I now use one in my laptop and yanked a 128GB Torx (Patriot version of the OCZ Vertex). For all you eagles eyes out there...yes this is a hint about a future HWC SSD review.

YMMV, but that is what I would do.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; October 25, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old October 25, 2009, 03:46 PM
MVP

Thanks for all the info AkG, this is exactly what I needed to know.

80gb is pretty much the sweet spot for my OS drive. Right now my raptors have about 58 gigs on it, so 60gb will be too small. I would never fill a 120gb drive so I think that would be a waste.

$300-400 is really where I would like to stay price wise. Those other drives are tempting, but priced a little too high for me. I see what you mean about overkill, I'm sure I would never notice the difference between a raided and non raided setup. Looks like I;m probably going to go with the Intel X-25M.

Thanks for the help!
Old October 25, 2009, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

That's some great info here, I was wondering about the same things for my os drive
thx akg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IF money is no object....look into the various OCZ Z-Drives. ;)
Wow, the specs look awesome but the price.....$$$$$
Do you think it is something that will only stay in the extremely high end market or it could become more, let's say, affordable in the future.
Old October 25, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IIRC there are few flavors of Z Drives now and the latest....isnt that insane....'ish :)~
IF you want a Zboard on the cheap (relatively speaking) the OCZ Colossus may be the drive for you. Basically its a ZDrive w/ sata 2 interface (and limitations) and a more "normal" 3.5 Form Factor.
Are they going to drop in price a LOT in the next couple months. Probably not, they will when the next gen "sata 6.0GB/s" drives hit the market but probably not much before than.

IF I was going SSD AND had 400 to spend AND could justify only getting a 60gb of space for that kind of coin. Id get the Agility EX. BUT to be honest most likely I would just pocket some of that coin and get a X25M g2. ;)
Probably the best SSD on the go right now....with the Vertex 120GB nipping at its heels.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 9, 2009, 03:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Raid0 (for 2 ocz ssds) is only useful when the pc is reading/writing large sequential files like a few GBs. Otherwise, the intel m x25 is best at random read/write