Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Pulled The Pin - Intel 2nd Gen 80GB SSD

Well after much procrastinating...finally pulled the pin...I've been torn between the Intel 2nd Gen 80GB and OCZ Vertex 120GB...difference in cost vs storage I suppose..

After much pondering..thought well fVck it..I presently have a 74 Gb Raptor (clunker) and a WD 640GB Black..even with most games on my Black and few on my Raptor, my Raptor still has about 30GB of space remaining.....so..decided the 80GB is enough (for now).....
Bought it thru NCIX NCIX.com - Buy Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive - SSDSA2MH080G2C1 In Canada.

Price matched to $297
X25M 80GB Mainstream SSD. Gen2, MLC flash technology, 2.5inch Form factor, SATA (3.0Gb/s), 9.5mm (co (SSDSA2MH080G2C1) INTEL

Will go in and replace my 74GB Raptor in my Primary Rig....

Old October 12, 2009, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Well after much procrastinating...finally pulled the pin...I've been torn between the Intel 2nd Gen 80GB and OCZ Vertex 120GB...difference in cost vs storage I suppose..

After much pondering..thought well fVck it..I presently have a 74 Gb Raptor (clunker) and a WD 640GB Black..even with most games on my Black and few on my Raptor, my Raptor still has about 30GB of space remaining.....so..decided the 80GB is enough (for now).....
Bought it thru NCIX NCIX.com - Buy Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive - SSDSA2MH080G2C1 In Canada.

Price matched to $297
X25M 80GB Mainstream SSD. Gen2, MLC flash technology, 2.5inch Form factor, SATA (3.0Gb/s), 9.5mm (co (SSDSA2MH080G2C1) INTEL

Will go in and replace my 74GB Raptor in my Primary Rig....
Three Words. I hate you.

Grats bro. I'mma buy mine soon too...Right after the couch set
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 12, 2009, 06:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Three Words. I hate you.
Somewhat harsh but I'm jealous too. Anyone know if I can include some of those in my upcoming mortgage?

Old October 12, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

rj, you already have a couple of really sweet rigs there. It would be interesting to know the actual difference in performance before and after. I'll go solid state when I build my next one but that won't be for a couple of years.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 12, 2009, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When are you going to receive this little baby, so we can see some great numbers ?

I'll be on the market for one next spring

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old October 12, 2009, 08:52 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

SSD was the best noticeable upgrade I did in ages.

Congrats! I went with the Vertex but those Intel SSDs are awesome.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 12, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
When are you going to receive this little baby, so we can see some great numbers ?
Well I'm still on the ship up here in Prince Rupert...order should "process n ship" from NCIX tomorrow...we fly home Wednesday, so should have it in my mitts by no later than Thursady.
The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the complete "re-install" of everything process...I'll be posting with some questions re: this for sure, as I want to "format / clean" the Raptor and either sell it or just keep it for a spare, but not quite sure if I should "Reformat" it with the Vista 64 disc, then remove it and instal the SSD or...?....
Any suggestions for this process would be much appreciated.
Basically, want to do a clean Format of both my 640 Black and Raptor, then remove the raptor, install the SSD and install OS, then install all of my "saved" stuff.

Old October 12, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Haven't told the wife yet.....hahahaha....she'll be happy to have me home after a month away at work, so its the best time to pick it up (under the RADAR)... ;)

Old October 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
SSD was the best noticeable upgrade I did in ages.
me too, i bought an older used one but it was still a huge difference, i'm going to upgrade to a better one soon though. :)

Old October 15, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well home now..(flew home from Rupert yesterday...hair raisning to say the least (( 11 seat Beechcraft)) )...anyhow...Intel G2 SSD and Silverstone 3.5" tp 2.5" Converter waiting for me... ;)
Likley not install for about 2 weeks or so..(Back to Victoria next week and wait for W7)...
Anyone shed some light on installation...someone mentioned "Don't forget to align" ....?...enlighten me please...

Thanks to all ;)