Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
rj do you have it installed in AHCI mode?
I only ask because I was at a friends house last night and he had his in IDE mode and trim only works in AHCI...you probably no it already but thought I'd mention it.
Seems I read about this and it was my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), but you have to set it to AHCI mode in BIOS prior to loading the OS.....I didn't bother and it defaults to IDE mode I believe...I'm actually going to flashing my BIOS Classy 758...so will have a look.
I'm pretty sure you cannot change it once I7 been loaded???

Old October 31, 2009, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes you can I have done it you might have to update your drivers before hand but i doubt it.
Old November 1, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Ginger...was that with an Evga X58 Board? I was surfing the Evga Web Site yesterday and came across this very topic in which it was stated that AHCI mode is changed prior to installing OS....perhaps i'll give it a go, if it pooches something I don't have too much stuff loaded up yet...re-install wouldn't be that big of a deal at this point....

Just realized my Vista 64 Bit Printer Driver Software (Brother MFC 5440 CN) works on W7 64... ;)

Old November 1, 2009, 10:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just found this but not sure if it works.
Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Old November 2, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

thanks robc.....Bookmarked that link you gave me! Not quite ready to start tinkering with the Registry just yet. Still getting things set-up with the new install. Will get back to you and nay or yay those instructions though when I give it a go!

Old November 2, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no i did not do it on a x58 yet. did it work or are you re-installing? ( but i have done this on a lot of peoples computers) have you tried simple going through the hard ware upgrade driver install manual point it at the raid/achi driver then reboot and on reboot switch to ahci mode has worked most of the time for me
Old November 2, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^no I haven't tried it yet....I won't be for now..if it doesn't work and Windows gets mucked up I'm not into a "Reformat" (again)...

Old November 2, 2009, 08:47 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

what about if i have a wd caviar black with windows 7 on it and I want to reinstall on ssd in ahci mode yet the hd was in ide mode. Could I just plug in ssd and set to ahci in bios then install?
Old November 2, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for that Link r0bc....worked perfectly by changing the "value" number to "0" in that location of the Registry "msahci". Changed it first, then re-boot to BIOS, change SATA mode in BIOS from IDE to AHCI. When it Boots into Windows, the OS goes thru a bunch of "Auto Driver" installs and prompts to "reboot"....thats it..so my Intel G2 SSD (along with all of my other drives I'm assuming) are running SATA / AHCI mode. no "hitches" at all..

Thanks again!

Just curious, where in Windows can I see "AHCI" mode, thought it was Device Manager / properties / details / enumerator......all drives thier still state IDE.....is it somewhere else I look? I'm definitley Booting into AHCI mode though as I do some "AHCI message" (never saw it before) in my Boot Screen prior to loading Windows. Not sure, but things "feel" a little snappier too.

Last edited by rjbarker; November 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old November 4, 2009, 06:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thats awesome, glad it worked. Sounds like your in ACHI mode.
I installed the lintel storage driver or whatever its called on the evga driver cd, if you already got it you should be in good shape.
We just need the new firmware now.
I'm really loving these drives, I installed one to my laptop and its like a new machine.