Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2009, 02:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hey! Guys, can't he just make a complete back up, and then just use Vista install disk to perform a complete restore on the SSD? That would save lots of time.
Old October 18, 2009, 08:51 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I ran a bunch of tests with manually setting a 128 offset and letting Win7 format the drive with the default of 1024. No difference. But you do want to do a few tweaks to help reduce some writes and prolong its life. Check out the ocz forums for all you need to know.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I own falcons, patriot warps, and adata ssd and i can tell you one thing intel and ocz have the best support I mean there are a bunch of us over at the g/skill forums still waiting on firmware that's been out for all other indilinx ssd for a while know good choice on who you bought from
Old October 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

is the g2 really much better then the g1? I can get a g1 for around 200 and a g2 for 300 is it worth it? Also is it a problem the g1 cant use TRIM?
Old October 19, 2009, 10:05 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalieman077 View Post
is the g2 really much better then the g1? I can get a g1 for around 200 and a g2 for 300 is it worth it? Also is it a problem the g1 cant use TRIM?
IMO not really much of a difference. G2 will supposedly support TRIM w/ Win7. And that is the major difference. But in terms of performance I have my doubts you'd be able to notice it.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
IMO not really much of a difference. G2 will supposedly support TRIM w/ Win7. And that is the major difference. But in terms of performance I have my doubts you'd be able to notice it.
but without TRIM wont my the g1 slowdown after a while? and have no way of speeding back up? that may be wrong I'm not fully educated in ssds
Old October 19, 2009, 11:25 PM

My System Specs

Ya it will slow down. But even a degraded X25-M G1 is a damn fast drive.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

hmm I guess I will wait till black friday then :) hopefully get a deal or boxing day
Old October 21, 2009, 05:11 AM
MVP

It happen I also pulled the trigger last week on a Intel X25-M80Gb G2 for 299$ (I bought on october 16th so the cheapest I found to pricematch is 299$, just 2$ off which is no biggie). I also preordered my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from NCIX and it will ship on release day. I will wait till my W7 copy is there before I rebuild my computer (basically transferring the guts into my new Corsair Obsidian 800D as well).

My current setup is a single WD6400AAKS divided in 2 partitions (150 GB for OS and remaining for data). I will do some pre and post upgrade testing and I'm running W7 RC1 right now.

As for G1 and degrading performance, if you use the latest firmware, degradation is reduced to a minimum thanks to a new garbage collection system. Even a degraded G1 with the latest firmware is very fast.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 21, 2009, 10:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
why not just use vista or 7 both work great
Win7 works great. Vista not so much so.

Maybe my opinion of Vista is out of date. I used it for a month when it first came out and it sucked so bad I went back to XP/sp2. Last year I bought an Asus N10J netbook with Vista preinstalled on the HDD. Since I had to wait a week for my SSD to arrive I used Vista in the meantime and was reminded of why I'd hated it so much a couple of years earlier. As soon as my SSD arrived I switched to XP.

I've been using Win7-RTM since mid-August and I love it. It feels like XP but has the security of Vista and the new taskbar is brilliant. It's faster and less resource-hungry than Vista and far less annoying. XP mode in Win7 offers a solution to hardware and software compatibility issues.

As I said, my opinion of Vista may be outdated but it sucked ten months ago. I felt as ripped off by spending my hard-earned money on it as I did when I bought WinME back at the turn of the century. When I first tried Win7 I felt the same exhilaration as when I first tried XP.

XP and Win7 are winners. Vista was a dog.