Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What I was talking about with you in PM is is setting up your SSD, or 'aligning' it.

Windows defaults your install to start on an offset of 63. Since all the memory tables are kB in size, this means all your files start in one block, and end in another block. It can seriously degrade your performance.

OCZ forums will be your lifeblood of info. Check Guide VERTEX - Official Info - Firmware, Setup, FAQ, Etc - OCZ Forum to get you rolling.

And more specifically: Guide VERTEX..single disk installation and windows tweaks. All disk sizes. - OCZ Forum will help you get your alignment setup right.

From what Ive seen helping friends out with SSD's, and what I have read on the net, an offset of 128 is best, but I'm sure AkG knows best and can chime in his 2c for confirmation.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 15, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just use vista or 7 to format then just install xp if that's what your doing but why not just use vista or 7 both work great
Old October 15, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
What I was talking about with you in PM is is setting up your SSD, or 'aligning' it.

Windows defaults your install to start on an offset of 63. Since all the memory tables are kB in size, this means all your files start in one block, and end in another block. It can seriously degrade your performance.

OCZ forums will be your lifeblood of info. Check Guide VERTEX - Official Info - Firmware, Setup, FAQ, Etc - OCZ Forum to get you rolling.

And more specifically: Guide VERTEX..single disk installation and windows tweaks. All disk sizes. - OCZ Forum will help you get your alignment setup right.
Its not the Vertex, but the Intel 2nd Gen 80GB....

Quote:
just use vista or 7 to format then just install xp if that's what your doing but why not just use vista or 7 both work great
I've got Vista SP1..which is what I'm running now on my Raptor Drive (Primary Rig in Sig), but I want to install Windows 7 and at this time do not have a copy of it (yet)....don't think I'm into a complete "Reformat" install Vista 64 Bit, just to go through the process again in a few weeks when I get Windows 7....
So with Windows 7 or Vista SP1 its as simple as "Format Drive and install OS"?....

Cheers

Old October 15, 2009, 09:08 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post

Only w/ XP and older. Vista and newer aligns partitions correctly.
Old October 15, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Excellent...good to know thanks lowfat....

Old October 17, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

So how do you like it barker.. Local store has it on clearance for $250 .. + tax (no shipping).. Memory Express Computer Products Inc. - Computer Parts & Laptop Computers in Canada

thinking of pulling the trigger..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 17, 2009, 02:37 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
So how do you like it barker.. Local store has it on clearance for $250 .. + tax (no shipping).. Memory Express Computer Products Inc. - Computer Parts & Laptop Computers in Canada

Too much IMO. Most stores were selling them for ~ $230 a few months back.
Old October 17, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

That link you provided is to the 1st Gen....not sure if you realized that or not...
Its still sitting here on my desk in the box. I've only been home a couple of days and have to go to Victoria all next week...will load up W7 on it when I get back next weekend.

Old October 17, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Oh thanks for pointing that out, I'll pass then.. I've been trying hard to afford at least a 64gb/80gb SSD, and a 1TB drive to replace my 2x640gb RAID.. the wd 640gb aren't all that old, maybe few months, but over this week, had troubles with hard drive detecting, all of a sudden the RAID will not detect, and still have my old 500gb hard drive kinda holding all my data and stuff, which is almost on the verge of collapsing, but at least I'll spend the $100 and get a wd 1tb black first and let the RAID to do the OS and games work..

Thanks lowfat and barker :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 17, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah the best price I found on the "G2C1" Intel 80GB (2nd Gen) was $297....saved a little as NCIX was $315...

just realized what I paid for my Raptor 74GB Drive a few years ago and what I may get for it if I sell it...hahahahahha...think I paid around $220 for it....get what...maybe $45 for it?