Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   western digital green and black......... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/24225-western-digital-green-black.html)

rob123 October 11, 2009 06:25 PM

western digital green and black.........

my server drives are getting a little small. right now they are seagate 500gb(4) and 2 1tb Blacks WD.

my question is ; can i throw a couple of western digital greens into this mix?

seems that i can price match the wd 1.5tb "greens" for $107. very tempting.
unless it shouldnt be done?

thx for any info

rob123

JD October 11, 2009 07:09 PM

They are a fair bit slower I believe since they only run at 5400RPM typically. But if speed isn't of much concern, should be alright. I wouldn't suggest putting them in RAID with your Blacks though.

Sushi Warrior October 11, 2009 09:23 PM

From what I hear the greens are terrible as they seem to spin up and down and lockup whenever they do so.

rob123 October 11, 2009 09:27 PM

thx for the replies. i have been scouring the web and am finding that the spin down factor can cause errors when used as part of the storage pool in windows home server.

oh well, guess that one i bought stays in the cupboard for now.

thx again

rob123

Kilauea October 12, 2009 05:24 AM

I have been using a Caviar Green 1TB as my main HDD for the past 5 months (almost) and I have not had a single trouble with it. Its silent, meaning that in those 5 months I have no heard the HDD once. I have not experienced a single error. It may be slower than other HDDs, but it was such a huge leap from what I had before that I actually see it as fairly fast. I believe my version is the 2 platter version.

Varroa October 12, 2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob123 (Post 269663)
thx for the replies. i have been scouring the web and am finding that the spin down factor can cause errors when used as part of the storage pool in windows home server.

oh well, guess that one i bought stays in the cupboard for now.

thx again

rob123

Can you link to where you found this? I am curious cause I get random errors on my WHS box and I have a bunch of WD green drives in mine.

rob123 October 12, 2009 12:35 PM

i went back over it and this was the best of them all. be sure to notice the link in the first posting.

WD Caviar Green vs WD Caviar Black

cheers

rob123

Varroa October 12, 2009 01:28 PM

Doesn't look like I am having any of the same problems so I don't think my errors are caused by the Green drives. I am going to be using a 2 TB green as my backup via esata so that shouldn't be a problem either. Moral of the story, stay away from USB drives.

rob123 October 12, 2009 04:09 PM

mind if i ask what type of errors you are getting?

rob123

Varroa October 12, 2009 04:34 PM

None of them affect the server, it seems to run fine but these are the most common:

-Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

-The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\WINDOWS POWERSHELL 1.0\WINDOWS POWERSHELL.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
Unspecified error
(0x80004005)

-11/08/2009 10:29:09 PM
The entry <D:\SHARES\SOFTWARE\HOME SERVER CONNECTOR SOFTWARE\WHSCONNECTOR.MSI> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:
Unspecified error
(0x80004005)

-The entry <D:\SHARES\SOFTWARE\HOME SERVER CONNECTOR SOFTWARE\WHSCONNECTOR.MSI> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:
Unspecified error
(0x80004005)

-The entry <D:\SHARES\SOFTWARE\HOME SERVER CONNECTOR SOFTWARE\WHSCONNECTOR_X64.MSI> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:
Unspecified error
(0x80004005)

-The entry <D:\SHARES\SOFTWARE\HOME SERVER CONNECTOR SOFTWARE\WHSCONNECTORINSTALL.EXE> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:
Unspecified error
(0x80004005)