Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2009, 02:52 PM
Rookie

Default Solid State Drives?

So what are these drives all about? What makes them awesome? I'm building a new computer and I'd really appreciate some info on these drives.
Old October 7, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

low power usage, insane read speeds, insane write speeds, ULTRA insane low latency. For more info I suggest some of the reviews we have done ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 7, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, lets just say that after using one for the first time on a new i7 that I was setting up at work I have to say, ME WANT NOW.

Really you just can not believe how fast you can boot up and open programs. Did a quick test today and I opened a 45MB powerpoint file in about 4 seconds. That is opening powerpoint and fully loading the file.

The drive that is in this particular system is the OCZ Vertex 60GB. I very much recommend this drive for the price/performance. You can get better drives (Intel X-25E) but they cost a lot more.

Oh and it took about 50 seconds to do a complete restart, and log back in and have everything loaded again. And about 20 seconds was outside of the OS and another 10-15 seconds for me to type my password. Just amazing performance.

Old October 7, 2009, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Ok, thanks a lot.
Old October 7, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are a CRAPLOAD of reviews here. Check them out! You'll realize just how much faster they are compared to mechanical hard drives.
Old October 7, 2009, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i am hooked best upgrade in my opinion
Old October 7, 2009, 07:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

SSDs are a great upgrade. Especially for a few years old computer. Overall amazing upgrade greatly increases loading and writing times. I would recommend a x-25 g2 if you just want for OS or something like a patriot torqx if your intertested in faster loading and writing times for apps
Old October 7, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup a OS SSD will be my next upgrade I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 7, 2009, 08:56 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Try 3 in Raid0!
Old October 7, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am soooo friggin close to pulling the pin...!!!
Toss up now between the Intel 80 GB or OCZ 120Gb Vertex...