Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the closest thing to a "hybrid" SSD was OCZ's (Apex?) drive that tried using an insane amount of cache to make up for the Jmicron controller's faults. It didn't work from what I saw on their forums.
Old October 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nope. The Apex was internally Raid'ed SSDs. Basically the 120GB was two 60GBs on one board with an underpowered raid controller....with NO cache of its own.
The Hybrid drives were supposed to be a regular HDD with a small SSD stuck on the controller board. Two ways to fail...FTL. That and the increased cost was the reason it never got any traction.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr