Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Partitions (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/24025-partitions.html)

th3b00m October 6, 2009 06:23 AM

Partitions

Hey everyone, so i just got a new WD Caviar black 500gb harddrive to install windows 7 on. Everything went well but I only made the partition for the windows install 20gb. Is there anyway to increase the partition size without having to reinstall windows or will I have to clean install?

Thanks

Arundor October 6, 2009 01:53 PM

A GParted Live CD should do the trick: GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

Burn the CD, boot with it, and it should allow you to resize partitions.

I should note that I've never personally done this with Windows 7 specifically, but it works fine for XP and Vista so I assume it will work on Windows 7 as well.

bojangles October 6, 2009 05:18 PM

I believe that if the remaining space of the HDD is raw (unpartitioned), you can extend the volume to the used partition. Haven't done it in a while, but Arundor brought up a great post.

JD October 6, 2009 05:35 PM

Start > Right click Computer > Manage. Disk Management, right click your "C" drive, and say extend. Should be able to do it without a hitch.

Gellidius October 7, 2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 266760)
Start > Right click Computer > Manage. Disk Management, right click your "C" drive, and say extend. Should be able to do it without a hitch.

I tried this many times up to a couple of weeks ago when i was using XP PRO, but "extend" was always greyed out; i just tried it again, now on Win 7, and it still does not work, still greyed out.
Do you know a solution for this?

JD October 7, 2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gellidius (Post 266950)
I tried this many times up to a couple of weeks ago when i was using XP PRO, but "extend" was always greyed out; i just tried it again, now on Win 7, and it still does not work, still greyed out.
Do you know a solution for this?

Is the extra space behind your C partition? And is it totally blank, as in no partitions created within the "empty" space?

As it's worked fine for me before.

Maybe post a screenshot of Disk Management if you're unsure.

Gellidius October 7, 2009 06:37 AM

partitions C and E are on the same HDD.
If i right click on C (the one i want to extend), i can shrink it, but "extend" is grayed out.

I have no unrecognized space on that HDD, C and E are both active and total the whole HDD.

Is that what you're asking me for ?

CanadaRox October 7, 2009 07:03 AM

What jdrom posted only works if the HDD has unpartitioned space. Doing what Arundor said with GParted will work fine. Just shrink the E partition, move it as close to the end of the disk as you can, then extend the C partition to fill the rest of the space. If you have anything in E, it will take a while to complete, but it will get done.

JD October 7, 2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gellidius (Post 266988)
partitions C and E are on the same HDD.
If i right click on C (the one i want to extend), i can shrink it, but "extend" is grayed out.

I have no unrecognized space on that HDD, C and E are both active and total the whole HDD.

Is that what you're asking me for ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaRox (Post 267001)
What jdrom posted only works if the HDD has unpartitioned space. Doing what Arundor said with GParted will work fine. Just shrink the E partition, move it as close to the end of the disk as you can, then extend the C partition to fill the rest of the space. If you have anything in E, it will take a while to complete, but it will get done.

Yeah I figured it was totally empty space beyond C. Didn't know you had made a partition, but if E partition is empty, you might as well just delete it and then you could use extend. It'll take like a minute tops.

Gellidius October 7, 2009 11:11 AM

tks for the tips!

i realize i was hijacking this thread, sorry about that.