Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2009, 07:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default OCZ Summit 120GB SSD Review Comment Thread

When it comes to SSDs, the competition is fierce and relentless and companies have to stay ahead of the curve or they risk falling far behind the leaders. OCZ has drives in every price category but with their new Samsung-based Summit series, they are looking to strike the perfect balance between price and performance. In this review we take a look at their new Summit 120GB, the drive many of you will find to be the perfect size for your high-performance needs.

[ Read full article ]

Please use this thread to post all your questions and comments.
Old September 16, 2009, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's too bad about the firmware. Looks like the Vertex may be the way to go.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You know, the P64 you reviewed and compared to this drive has a slower rated speed (220 read/120 write for the P64 vs. 220 read/200 write for the Summit). If you had been able to compare this drive to the P128 (220 read/180 write) at least it would have been a little closer to comparing apples to apples. In any case, great review, and keep them coming. I hope there's a review in the works for the X-series Corsair drives with the Indilinx controller; just make sure you review the X128 or X256 as they are rated higher than the X64 and X32!
Old September 16, 2009, 07:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We were actually drawing parallels between controllers when comparing the OCZ and the Corsair drives. And yes, it seems that the Sammy controller has 120GB as its sweet spot.
Old September 16, 2009, 01:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I only meant that I don't think the Summit would have looked so good next to the P128. You do mention about the difference here, discussing the read performance:

"Interestingly enough, the OCZ Summit with its older 1801 firmware is still faster in reads than the Corsair P64 with its more advanced 18C1 firmware. This is interesting and we have to wonder once again if 16 chips spread over the 8 channel based Sammy controller is the sweet spot for this controller vs. the smaller 64GB model with its 8 chips on 8 channels."

Then, you discuss the write performance:

"If the read speeds were only mildly interesting, these writes are down right intriguing! Both the Corsair P64 and OCZ Summit use the exact same chips and the exact same controller…AND the Corsair has a more refined firmware YET it is handed a beat down by the Summit."

I only thought I'd mention that it occurred to me that the Summit drive has a specified write performance 2/3 faster than the P64, and this was probably the reason for the difference in performance numbers. Whether this is due to the firmware, controller, or number of chips, I wouldn't know.
Old September 16, 2009, 02:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I know that the 120GB Vertex (different controller I know) is rated faster than the smaller versions of the Vertex based on the same controller because the nand densities are different. Perhaps that is why the 120GB Summit is faster than the 64GB P64.

Guide Vertex FAQ's - OCZ Forum
Fold for team #54196
Old September 23, 2009, 07:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Selling for $330 with a $40 rebate at NCIX sale:
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Summit 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD Samsung Controller W/ 128MB Cache - OCZSSD2-1SUM120G In Canada.

I paid the same for the Vertex a few weeks ago.
Fold for team #54196