Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2009, 01:45 AM
Top Prospect

Default A thought on hard disk

I guess the most frequent mishap that I know of is hard drive failure; it's unpredictable.
When it happens, it's really unnerving - especially if you lose any valuable data.
For those reason, I like to have at least two or three hard drive - may be 2 internal and 1 external. I also don't like to pay too much for hard drive. What is your prediction on the price of popular hard drives within the next 3~4 months?

Core i7 920 on EVGA X58 @ 3.95GHZ
Noctua NH U12P 1366
OCZ DDR3 Triple Channel Gold Version 6GB (8-8-8-24)
EVGA GTX 260SC
Windows Vista Ultimate X64
750GB Hardisk
Antec P182 Case: Quiet but not very good for cooling

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad SL500
Old September 13, 2009, 09:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by appplejack View Post
I guess the most frequent mishap that I know of is hard drive failure; it's unpredictable.
When it happens, it's really unnerving - especially if you lose any valuable data.
For those reason, I like to have at least two or three hard drive - may be 2 internal and 1 external. I also don't like to pay too much for hard drive. What is your prediction on the price of popular hard drives within the next 3~4 months?
>>>the most frequent mishap that I know of is hard drive failure; it's unpredictable.
When it happens, it's really unnerving - especially if you lose any valuable data<<<

This is one reason why SSDs are vastly superior to HDDs as boot drives. There is a much greater chance of HDD failure than SSD failure. If you save all valuable files to an SSD before copying to multiple backup HDDs, your data will be much more secure.

>>>What is your prediction on the price of popular hard drives within the next 3~4 months?<<<

I don't have a crystal ball, but currently HDD storage costs under $.09 per GB and I don't see it rising or falling considerably in the near future.