Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Vista 64 Bit SP1 install on SSD Guides? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/22723-vista-64-bit-sp1-install-ssd-guides.html)

rjbarker September 4, 2009 01:31 AM

Vista 64 Bit SP1 install on SSD Guides?

Hey guys,
Looking at ordering this Intel SSD
NCIX.com - Buy Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive - SSDSA2MH080G2C1 In Canada.

Do you guys have any links to a decent "Guide" to installing Vista 64 Bit SP1 on these Drives.....no experience at all with SSD's...

It would be a clean install, OS on this drive and all other stuff on my WD 640 Black

Thanks in advance !

gingerbee September 4, 2009 05:08 AM

Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks

rjbarker September 4, 2009 10:26 AM

Thanks Ginger....after reading up a little on the OCZ Forum I think I'm swayed towards the OCZ Vertex as I like the look of the support on the forum.
Still somewhat confused though as to "installation" of OS...although:
1. Looks as though FW 1.1 is fine to install OS on, although FW 1.3 is available, so in order to install 1.3 (must be from 1.1), I would install SSD in my Rig (SATA 0 - 4) and proceed woth Flashing the SSD to 1.3
2. Then simply install my Vista SP1 OS Disc and follow prompts, installing the OS on the SSD...

Is it really that simple...from what I understand Vista SP1 is much like Windows 7 for simplicity of "recogniiton and installation" as apposed to XP.

Does anyone know if the Vertex 60GB from NCIX already have the 1.1 FW version?
This seem correct?

lowfat September 4, 2009 10:52 AM

I am pretty sure most drives should have 1.3 buy not. As it has been out for many months.

gingerbee September 4, 2009 11:07 AM

i think the vertex come with 1.3 now cause they are beta testing the 1.4 i think i am have i hard time working out all the different f.w
vesta and even 7 needs ssd tweaks none of the os's see ssd's right imo

rjbarker September 4, 2009 11:28 AM

Yeah...I seem to get somewhat confused reading through the OCZ Forums and equirements for these Drives...couldn't be as simple as installing and throwing in my OS Disc eh?....I think I even read that folks that installed FW version 1.4 Beta had to roll back to 1.1 then they could move up to 1.3 and then 1.4 wtf???

you kidding me....I enjoy HW but not headaches....hopefully if I take the plunge its really not as complex as what it sounds like on the Forum. I have Flashed many a Mobo BIOS utilizing .iso filed on a CD with never any issues, now when I go to the OCZ Forum and here Discussion beta test: CD ISO flash FW1.10(1370) USB files post #5 - OCZ Forum
I don't see any .iso files in the provided list 30 / 60 / 120 GB .zip etc...? Only files for creating a Bootable USB Drive (seems like a pita compared to burning an .iso bootable disc....)

Anyhow...thanks for the help guys...looks as though I have some homework ahead of me if I really want this Drive.

gingerbee September 4, 2009 12:51 PM

all i do is setup my raid and just do tweaks once the OS is installed ( make sure write back cache is on )
1. run set up the way you normally do ( if running vista/7 you don't have to set the alignment they do it right )
2. install all your base drivers
3. do some tweaks
4. benchmark to make sure your getting what you should then do it all over again so you have a full clean install this is how i do it
I have done this like 5 or 6 times on my and clients machines in the last month alone it does not take any longer they a normal setup ( p.s setup 7/vista to boot from a usb makes install so much faster. jmo) I have vista and 7 setup on usb sticks to install from there.
Good luck i am sure that you will not need it though.:thumb:

rjbarker September 4, 2009 03:46 PM

Thanks Ginger.....sounds straight forward enough....we'll see, actually contemplating replacing my HX 1kW with a Zeus 1.2 kW...if that happens the SSD will have to wait..!

Cheers

If I get the SSD, i'll most certainly be in touch with more queries ;)

Oversized Rooster September 7, 2009 07:49 PM

You don't need any kind of tweaks. I installed Vista Business 64-bit on dual 60GB Vertex drives in RAID0 on Intel ICH10R. I had to load drivers so setup could see the RAID array but that would have happened even if they weren't SSDs.

Setup your RAID array with a 128KB stripe (max) and you're set. Inside Windows, disable defrag, page file, indexing, hibernation, all that crap.

I get about 410MB/s average read from HD Tune 3.5 straight out of the box. Both my Vertex drives came with the 1.3 FW so I didn't need to flash anything (thank god).

chrisk September 7, 2009 08:53 PM

Bought a Vertex a couple of days ago and it came with 1.30 on it.

Installed Windows 7 on it and it recognized the SSD no problems. I was not sure if it did at first, but I read on the Win7 blog that Windows 7 takes two approaches to recognizing a SSD; 1- if the SSD firmware broadcasts itself as an SSD, or 2 - Win7 will do some read/write benches on install, and if its over a certain number, it assumes an SSD.

Checking around my rig after the install, Win7 had the defrag turned off for the drive, just as it should for an SSD.