Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2007, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Look into the Netgear SC101. It's a nice and simple NAS that offers RAID 1 and you can just attach it to your router and you're done. There is software that sync's your PC to it and you won't lose the data if your PC dies. I am getting one soon with dual 500GB drives that I will run in RAID 1 myself. The ONLY downside to the Netgear is that it uses IDE drives, but they should be around long enough for that to not matter.
Old August 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
So here is what I am thinking now:

Pick up another 320g and a 500g hdd, I already have a 320g in my rig, use the 500g for my rig and put the 2x320g into a raid 1 setup, I have more than enough room in my rig for the 2 extra drives, but the thing that concerns me about this setup is I am reading that if I use my mobo raid controllers that if the mobo dies I wont be able to acsess my data, is this correct?
If so then a raid controller card would be nessasery right? And on those I am @ a loss.
You can access the raid drives from another rig that has a compatible raid.

In my case my main rig is p5b-d with ichr8 atm and i have it configured raid 5 with 3x250gb drives. If the mobo fails I can access the raid 5 volumes from another rig with ich7R or ich9r ... i have both in my folding farm. I like raid 5 since the raid space o/h is 1 drive or 33% on a 3 drive raid. vs 50% on raid 1.

However, raid 1 is simpler since it is a mirror and you could even just use 1 of the drives to move/recover from and save the other for backup. In fact, i am pretty sure i have used a raid volume on another system that only had ichx (not the raid version). Also, you only need 2 drives for a raid 1 vs >=3 for raid 5. If space is not a big issue, stick with raid 1 until you get comfortable with it.

The intel matrix storage manger is very solid and reliable in my experience.
You can have a read on the recovery options on the intel site.

I am kind of anal about raid ... so i have spent the time in the past to test and practice the recovery options on new builds before i put any data on it and put the rig into production. You might want to play with it when you build one of those new folding rigs .... assuming you have a few hdd's to play with.

I use raid 5+0 on my main rig ... the 3 drive raid 0 is small and is used for pagefile, temp rip space ... a small high perf volume that only hold temporary files. I also have a raid 5 setup on my son's rig since he uses a lot more space than i do so it is better than raid 1 for capacity.
And I have a folding rig i use as a backup for my main rig with a 2x160 raid 1 on it ... and copies of the critical stuff from my main rig - I work from home a lot so i can't afford to be without work access/files while i recover my main rig and it only takes 1 extra old cheap drive to run it like this.

Last edited by pscout; August 12, 2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old August 12, 2007, 04:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Okay it looks like I am in the market for a external hdd to store my images and mp3's. Movies I burn to disc, so what would work best for me, it would have to be hooked into my home network, 3 computers,and @ least 500g I would say.
Acom Data Hybrid Drive 500GB 7200RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

After Mail In Rebate: $129.99 CAD

Quote:
After I forgot to get some of the old ladys images off my hdd before I formated
would that be your amorous wife? GetDataBack will recover all no problem.
Old August 12, 2007, 04:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
Acom Data Hybrid Drive 500GB 7200RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

After Mail In Rebate: $129.99 CAD

would that be your amorous wife? GetDataBack will recover all no problem.
There are so many networked solutions now that I can't see wanting to use a USB external drive unless it's for use on computers which aren't already networked together, or a specialty use like my Samsung widescreen TV which can read media files off of a USB device.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP