Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher^64 View Post
I ended up picking up the Corsair x128 as they were out of the OCZ. Nice thing from what I read though, updating the firmware on the Corsair drive you don't lose you data where as on the OCZ apparently you do...
Ummm...actually OCZ were the first to intro jumper-less firmware updates which did not by default wipe away all your data. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 21, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

thanks charlie..

stupid sony! why did I buy a laptop from them?!
Old August 21, 2009, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
SSD's are the cat's ass for laptops. They are all bolt in, made in the exact form factor as 2.5" laptop drives. They will survive a 10 storey drop and not break, losing your data. They add a ton of time to your battery life. And best of all, they are faster than fast.
They really add a lot of time? I hadn't thought of that. My current laptop is...weird. I replaced the battery with a new one, lasts about hours dimmed and using MS word/one note. Think i'd see much of an improvement in the duration with an SSD?
Old August 21, 2009, 04:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Depends on the size of the SSD. The 128s are slightly better and added about 35 minutes to my battery life (little over 4hrs instead of 3.5 hrs). The smaller 64GBs use even less and can add a great amount of battery life! The only exception is Intel....they use a shite ton of power and even the 80Gbs are rated for a FULL 1.0amp off the 5v line (vs .35 for 64GBs from Sammy and Indilinx or .55 - .6a for 128gb Indilinx`s).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 21, 2009, 04:22 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Depends on the size of the SSD. The 128s are slightly better and added about 35 minutes to my battery life (little over 4hrs instead of 3.5 hrs). The smaller 64GBs use even less and can add a great amount of battery life! The only exception is Intel....they use a shite ton of power and even the 80Gbs are rated for a FULL 1.0amp off the 5v line (vs .35 for 64GBs from Sammy and Indilinx or .55 - .6a for 128gb Indilinx`s).
I was going to say, when I had an X25-M in my Macbook Pro it added zero battery life.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Ummm...actually OCZ were the first to intro jumper-less firmware updates which did not by default wipe away all your data. ;)
I guess I read the wrong manual then, cause the one I read the other day specifically states that it will wipe all data.... I guess it could be an outdated pdf...

Anyways, so far so good. This laptop feels pretty good, worth the price premium, not sure yet... haven't done all the updates on Vista 64 yet. But time will tell.
Old August 21, 2009, 09:01 PM

My System Specs

It use to erase all the data. After the 3rd firmware they released you no longer had to do it.
Old August 21, 2009, 09:11 PM
Top Prospect

Not that it was really a choice anyways as there were none in stock. But good to know.
Old August 22, 2009, 02:38 PM
Top Prospect

AFter doing a clean OS install and updates the one thing that I REALLY like on my laptop is the fan rarely kicks in when I'm just browsing the net and when it does it's just on low....wow...so so quite. lol Doing installs of drivers and such from the HD...er, guess that's SSD is noticably quicker and the whole machine just feels nicer to use, but the best thing is the fan...