Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default SSD's and Hyperfast?

Heya!
I didn't feel like threadjacking so I just ended up starting a new one regarding Diskeeper w/Hyperfast. A fair bit of information points towards the conclusion that some SSD's will be left without trim capabilities so since I was in the market for this week grabbing something of the solid-state persuasion I've been hitting up Google and Bing a fair bit to see what's been going on with plans for firmware updates or who might be basically trimless in the next few months.

I've come across a few dozen random forum threads where some users (particularly Gen 1 Intel people) have been absolutely swearing by this software, particularly because of Diskeeper's ability to (For lack of a better term) mark a partition or drive as solid sate, meaning that the mechanical drives will continue to have their low level background defrag done, yet the SSD remains untouched until the user decides to run Hyperfast. I found this particularly appealing assuming that it all works as it should.

So, that leaves me wondering if this forum has some users which have been playing around with this software, and found it at all useful. No, I'm not trying to advertise this thing but I am wondering if it might be worth me shelling out the few bucks to pick it up if I end up grabbing something other than Gen 2 Intel or OCZ.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 17, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i myself have found it very useful on my warps v2 all of them have now seen a slow down by using hyperfast there speed came back to full.
now on my a-data's ssd's there does not seem to make a difference so far JMO.( the adata's have not slowed yet and when i mean slowed the warps go from max 150 mb/s down to a whole 147 mb/s but hyperfast and the boot defragment bring it all back,for the warps anyway)
Old August 17, 2009, 08:52 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Isn't hyperfast another defrag routine? Puts the files in contiguous order and moves the most used ones to the fastest part of a mechanical drive? If so then it doesn't do much good on an SSD.
Old August 17, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IMHO hyperfast is now an answer in search of a problem. Modern SSDs have garbage collection, and TRIM (or soon will in the case of Sammy and Intel) built into their firmware. IF you have an older gen then yeah MAYBE it can be helpful...but it does put more wear and tear on the cells and I have yet to see any numbers showing this extra wear and tear is worth it....and for the cost of the program I'd recomend putting the cost towards a newer gen SSD. Much BETTER solution than messing w/ software defragers (SSD aware or not).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 17, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

he was asking for the old ssd's. but yes i agree with the above statement just buy a new ssd with an indilinx controller
Old August 17, 2009, 10:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hmmm, that's a good point bringing up the extra wear and tear...guess the new generation is still the best route to go :) Thanks all!
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 17, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

for sure my adata's where 5 dollars more regular price then my warps or wait for the vertex on sale.

does any of the ssd junkie's now what or when the next big speed jump is?
or are we just looking at price drops cause i am so addicted to these things
Old August 17, 2009, 10:37 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Defrag routines are useless on an SSD. Doesn't matter where the blocks are scattered, the access time is exactly the same.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

maybe is was just the benchmark. real world use i could see no difference but like i said the warps benchmarks went up not by anything i would call worth it for the price of the software ( and i am pretty sure if you have old ssd's there is a wipe clean function on the new CCleaner - Home that might work well have not tried it, have no need to yet)
Old August 17, 2009, 01:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
does any of the ssd junkie's now what or when the next big speed jump is?
or are we just looking at price drops cause i am so addicted to these things
I read on OCZ forums the next speed jump will happen when SATA III comes out, current speeds are as good as they get on current gen platforms.

Hyperfast is the same feature as PerfectDisk's built-in Free Space Consolidation, except they don't charge for it. Not sure if it helps.

Last edited by artistpavel; August 17, 2009 at 01:45 PM.