Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2007, 06:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Discussion thread for QNAP TS-109 Pro NAS review...

Please post any comments, questions, or concerns about the review or the TS-109 Pro here. If anyone would like to see any other specific benchmarks or testing, do not hesitate to ask and I will do my best to accommodate.

The TS-109 Pro is a very diverse product with many features and I tried to cover everything but if there is a feature you would like to hear more about, please just let me know.

QNAP TS-109 Pro Review
Old August 6, 2007, 07:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Most excellent smithers.... :)

Great review!

Looks like a pretty cool piece of kit, and it will only get more attractive as 1 terrabyte drives come down in price.

There have been a few "server in a box" solutions offered before, but this one looks like it actually delivers the goods. If the MySQL issues can be solved I'd imagine that a pair of these raided up for redundancy could be a kickass setup for folks running web based home business'.

I may have missed it during the read, but I was wondering if they list an upper limit to what size HD it can manage. 1T (hard to believe that's what we've got now... :) ) may be the upper limit of HD space now, but I suspect it won't be long before that's breached.

My only concern (as with all devices which can be accessed from the `net) would be security. Is there a firmware update function to address any issues that might come up?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; August 6, 2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old August 6, 2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I may have missed it during the read, but I was wondering if they list an upper limit to what size HD it can manage. 1T (hard to believe that's what we've got now... :) ) may be the upper limit of HD space now, but I suspect it won't be long before that's breached.

My only concern (as with all devices which can be accessed from the `net) would be security. Is there a firmware update function to address any issues that might come up?
The specifications list 1TB internal and 1TB external (through USB/eSATA) as the max HD size so it appears there is a limit there at the 1TB mark.

Yes, there is built in firmware update. Very easy and simple through the web based interface. You can even start from a newer firmware when doing the quick setup wizard for the first time. It provides the ability to point to whichever firmware you want, the current that it ships with is the default.
Old August 6, 2007, 08:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Is this what you're using to power your personal site?

Just had a quick look over there and it serves up without any hesitation at all.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 6, 2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Is this what you're using to power your personal site?

Just had a quick look over there and it serves up without any hesitation at all.
no, my web site is on a shared server...really good webhost to be honest. i have a lot of traffic as all of my OC Reports are hosted on it and my internet connection wouldn't be able to handle it. i wish i could host all of my stuff locally from home but the cost of a real connection wouldn't make it worth it.

i was thinking of hosting a site on the TS-109 Pro for a while where you guys could see what the performance was like but the bottleneck would be my ISP and not the TS-109 Pro in all likely-hood.
Old August 11, 2007, 11:13 AM
Rookie

Default QNAP TS-109pro powered by automobile?

Thanks for this very informative review.

I have just received the Qnap109pro. My main use for this device is to server music files to my mp3 player (Slimdevices Squeezebox3). This works perfectly with one simple ethernet connection between these two devices with the only other connection necessary being both devices powered through the household AC. Both devices use a external AC to dc power transformer to power them. The mp3 player needs 5v dc (1amp) and the Qnap uses 12v dc (3amp). Powering this in an automobile seems quite simply accomplished with the use of a external dc-dc converter available from my sources and an emergency battery backup UPS powering the dc-dc converter to give the Qnap time to boot up and boot down.

So when turning the car's ignition on and off(creating a power failure), the 12v output of the emergency power supply UPS can slowly turn on/off power to the dc-dc converter (supplies both 12v and 5v dc separately) with a controlled time delay and then allow enough time for both devices to power down properly.

How to solve the last problem of how to tell the Qnap to shut down WITHOUT requiring the manual pushing of the power button of the Qnap? Is this even possible? Hopefully the Qnap would be located in the trunk or glove compartment of the car. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old August 11, 2007, 12:08 PM

your welcome ronst, glad you found it useful and welcome to HWC!

it sounds like you have a very nice setup in mind for the car but unfortunately i don't have a solution to your final problem. there is a shutdown button in the Admin section on the TS-109 Pro so there is definitely a 'software' way to shut the NAS down, how to use that, i don't know. just throwing information out there. perhaps someone else more ingenious than me can think of a way to send the shutdown command to the TS-109 Pro automatically in your setup. firing an e-mail to QNAP might not be a bad idea either...you never know, they may have a suggestion that 'tricks' the TS-109 Pro into doing a soft shutdown.
Old August 11, 2007, 02:06 PM
Rookie

Hi Jody!

Thanks for your input. I didn't know that their was a software way to shutdown the Qnap.

Since I believe most NAS devices have a UPS facility, maybe one of the UPS's out there might have a way to signal the Qnap to shut down. I don't know very much about UPS's in general, but I think I remember the Qnap manual giving a list of compatible UPS's. If I am really lucky, there still might be a way for a UPS to send a shutdown signal. I will try both Qnap Corp's email and maybe the Squeezebox external hardware forums to see if someone might know of a solution.

The Qnap seems like a much more capable device than what I am planning for it. If all else fails, I might try and use the Qnap for a home server where I can retrieve or store my files to and from the internet while away. Are you planning on keeping the Qnap or just long enough for your review?

Many thanks again for your very detailed and well written article.
Ron (Toronto, Ontario CANADA)
Old August 11, 2007, 02:24 PM

Hey Ron, yeah, the TS-109 Pro is a bit overkill for your outlined use I think. It is quite a beefy little data server to be honest.

My review copy will be staying with me for as long as I can for-see, I am actually in the process of transferring the data from my old NAS to the TS-109 Pro as we speak. I use a lot of remote file retrieval so it is perfect for that task as well as my full time music server for all users in my home. I have found iTunes to really 'play nice' with the TS-109 Pro on both Mac and Windows platforms.

I am still having some issues with MySQL though. If I could get MySQL to work consistently on this guy, then I could use it as a development server for PHP/MySQL work and completely rid my main workstation of that task. I am hoping it is something on my end or a future firmware update away from being resolved. PHP and the web serving function are flawless, I just can't get MySQL to play nice.
Old September 2, 2007, 09:11 PM
Trial Member

Great Review!

I was wondering if you are still having no luck with MySQL? Also is easyDNS one of the supported dynamic DNS services?

Thanks,
Mark