Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2007, 08:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTO View Post
Great Review!

I was wondering if you are still having no luck with MySQL? Also is easyDNS one of the supported dynamic DNS services?

Thanks,
Mark
Thanks Mark, I appreciate it. easyDNS is not listed on the TS-109 Pro, here is the complete list:

As for the MySQL issues, yes, I am still having all of the problems that I outlined. Basically i have figured out that MySQL wasn't activated except right after initializing the hard drive. As it turns out, it just so happens that QNAP released a new firmware today. Guess what is on the list of fixes? That's right, the MySQL issue I was having seems to be fixed as well as a number of other issues. Here is the complete list, some of which I experienced but not all:
  • The external drive configured for Q-RAID 1 could not be used as an internal drive of the Turbo Station.
  • HDD could not enter the standby mode in certain situations.
  • Changes to user's quota settings took effect only until the system was restarted.
  • MySQL server was activated only when the HDD was reinitialized.
  • The certificate expired when accessing the Turbo Station via SSL login.
  • The user's right to access the authorized albums was cleared after the user changed his/her profile.
  • HDD LED indicator did not blink clearly while accessing the data.

In addition to the fixes, there are a few updates to features including the one I desperately asked for, PHPMyAdmin is now built in! Talk about a company listening to suggestions and implementing them rather quickly. In less than a month, QNAP has apparently all but eliminated the issues I had with the TS-109 Pro.

I am downloading the firmware right now (a whopping 35MB at 6KB/s) so I cannot confirm any of the fixes but sometime this evening I should be able to. QNAP has certainly got my hopes up
Old September 6, 2007, 12:07 AM

Just an update for those interested. The firmware update has been a great success for the QNAP TS-109 Pro. The MySQL issues are completely solved and MySQL has been rock solid since the firmware update. The inclusion of PHPMyAdmin works perfectly from the first time you fire the unit up after the firmware update and is a very welcome addition. I have installed PHPBB, VB Forum, OS Commerce, and other prominent PHP based web applications with 100% success on the TS-109 Pro since the firmware update. The MySQL server is definitely working after stand-by mode or powering the unit off now.

I can't say enough for QNAP and how fast my issues with this unit were addressed and now with firmware 1.1.1, I would not hesitate to give this unit a 5 out of 5. It is so nice having a great development server, music server, file server, web server, FTP server, and more in this tiny package standing all by itself...simply incredible

Now I just need a bigger hard drive for the TS-109 Pro and a real router to solve the rest of my networking woes. If there were multiple RJ-45 connections, I wouldn't be surprised if I could somehow get smoothwall running on the TS-109 Pro and have it solve that issue as well
Old September 6, 2007, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

it me or that thing not come with a hdd? I know it's not intended solely as a backup but I could grab a 750gb one touch backup for that price.

Join our Folding@Home team!
Old September 6, 2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamashinoch View Post
it me or that thing not come with a hdd? I know it's not intended solely as a backup but I could grab a 750gb one touch backup for that price.
No, it doesn't come with a harddrive. The TS-109 is not at all intended as a backup device, you can buy cheap $50 NAS storage boxes for something that simplistic and match it up with a solid piece of software for better than an overpriced one touch solution.

The TS-109 is a server all in itself that can replace a whole computer in a number of different network environments. Don't think of it as a NAS, think of it as a network server that also doubles as a media server, download manager, web server, etc...
Old September 6, 2007, 04:55 PM

Great review man, I didnt realize you were reviewing for HWC.
Old September 8, 2007, 12:50 AM

Thanks Zac...how could I not review for such a great site when I get the chance ;)

I would also like to take this moment to further address my comments on support from QNAP. They now have an infant forum setup for support from QNAP as well as other users and despite being around for a very short period of time, you can already see that it will become a wealth of knowledge for all QNAP device owners.

So if you do end up with a wonderful TS-109 Pro hooked up to your network, be sure to swing by the support forum as there is certainly something there you can learn from. Support and future updates for these devices are going to make this TS-109 Pro a mainstay on my network for a long time.

QNAP Systems Inc.- NAS storage and Surveillance products provider