Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2009, 10:33 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The one thing in common with all those people playing down ssd's? They've never tried one.

If they had they'd know what real world difference they actually make.

A lot.
Old August 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
The one thing in common with all those people playing down ssd's? They've never tried one.

If they had they'd know what real world difference they actually make.

A lot.
I haven't seen ANYONE play one down.

Most people are saying they are far to much money and for some of us we have other priorities then dropping money on a good SSD drive ;)
Old August 6, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
you don't need to spend $400 on a SSD. There are plenty of cheap ones that still perform really well.. like my 60 gb vertex for example. The loading times on it are a lot better, and like everyone said, the system feels snappier.
Man I thought you might be downloading stuff.. hint: Pron server.. j/k phobes :p

But really nowadays for a hdd minimum is at least 500-640gb since they have reduced in price pretty good.. and since most SSD's are more like 2-3 times the cost of a hard drive, you would imagine the minimum size should be at least 120gb too..

You would probably agree that lots of games nowadays take an ample amount of hard drive space, people like doing a full install, nobody likes installing basic and playing from cd/dvd all the time..

Thought I'll have to agree, if you're using the SSD for only storing the most used programs, and installing all other junk on a separate hdd, then yes a small SSD would do..

Phobes man, still 60gb.. c'mon music, movies, games, pron lol..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 6, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

lol.. i've got my 640gb almost filled up with music and movies and programs.. no pron though.. thats what the internet is for ;)
Old August 7, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have 87GB of music alone, and I still have just under 500GB of movies on my computer. as I stated above for what I would do for hard drive setup is 4 64GB SSDs in raid 10 and 2 1TB standard disks in raid 1 that way I have complete redundancy for all my data and insane read/write speeds from the SSDs

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old August 7, 2009, 04:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't wait for reasonable priced 500gb+ ssd's

For me reasonable = 1.5 x equivalent HD price today or $100 with taxes for a 500gb ssd
Old August 7, 2009, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

bang for buck is relative to how much buck you have to bang ( just a few years ago we were paying 100$ to 300$ for hd's that were the same size )
Old August 7, 2009, 07:54 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I'd be willing to spend $200 on a good 120GB ssd drive for increased performance. I don't want to go smaller, even on an OS drive.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 7, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

HDDs will always have their place for mass storage. They are big but they are also slow. Except for the occasional peep who only runs 1 drive in their system I don't see a small OS & a big secondary as a hardship.

Hate to say it Enaberif but you really are showing your age if you have never and would never spend $400 for a "hard" drive. Hell I spent damn near twice that for my first hdd. Thing was sooo massive and sooo loud, but i was sooo proud of it sitting next to my computer! No more floppy swaps for Wordperfect or Lotus Notes....and later I could even install Harvard Graphics to it! We are spolied today with pennys per GB when not that long ago it was 5+ dollars per MB and before that it was even worse.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 7, 2009, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I'd be willing to spend $200 on a good 120GB ssd drive for increased performance. I don't want to go smaller, even on an OS drive.
+1

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware