Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Enaberif, they ARE hard drive replacements; albeit high performance HDD replacements. Up until SSDs the hard drive was doing double duty as mass storage AND OS loader. In the future HDDs will be for storage only and SSDs will be for the OS.

A good SSD like the Vertex or even Summit IS a huge improvement over any HDD, including the WD blacks and the VRaptors or even SCSI 15k drives. They really do make your system seem faster and are easily biggest one piece upgrade that will make even an old system feel like new. On a new system, 9 times out of 10 by the time you have released the mouse button from double clicking the icon of program the damn thing will be loaded. It even makes PHOTOSHOP CS3 / CS4 load times peppy!

There really is no comparison and now that the stuttering issue is a thing of the past, my question is WHY would anyone building a new mid level or higher rig NOT go SSD?

Right now I am running a single Torqx in an old craptop and it easily has added years to the life of my laptop.

When Win 7 comes out my main rig will be outfitted with at least one SSD, and I can not wait for SATA 3.0 and that gen of SSDs!
I never said they weren't ;) I was speaking in regards to what lowfat said :P

And again I'll say they'll never become a replacement until costs come way down and that people can justify spending the cost of 1 tiny SSD for the cost of 1 large platter.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly I know where you are coming from and all I can say is TRY one. Then we can talk about how "costly" they are. ;)

And honestly, we are talking 200 - 300 dollars in the dif. Its not like they are THAT expensive. Hell many peeps spend more than that on RAM for a system!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 6, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree 1000000% with the above - I have purchased many Seagate 500 GB 7200.12 for very cheap and they are serving me well - if one fails on me, I have spare replacements and backups - cheaper this way. I'm not ready to believe that SSDs are fail proof - after all we are talking about electronics they are just as vulnerable - what if the controller goes out, what if the chips get fried or corrupted - sometimes older technology outlasts new ones - All of my old 8mm and VHS collection are intact and will probably outlast my DVDs :)
Old August 6, 2009, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Honestly I know where you are coming from and all I can say is TRY one. Then we can talk about how "costly" they are. ;)

And honestly, we are talking 200 - 300 dollars in the dif. Its not like they are THAT expensive. Hell many peeps spend more than that on RAM for a system!
When I spend $400 on a drive for my computer is the day I shoot myself.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you don't need to spend $400 on a SSD. There are plenty of cheap ones that still perform really well.. like my 60 gb vertex for example. The loading times on it are a lot better, and like everyone said, the system feels snappier.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
you don't need to spend $400 on a SSD. There are plenty of cheap ones that still perform really well.. like my 60 gb vertex for example. The loading times on it are a lot better, and like everyone said, the system feels snappier.
60gb is to small.

You need at least 120+ or more to be an effective drive otherwise you need to buy a couple and RAID them.

Neither of which I want to do.

SSDs aren't for everyone at this point.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

They may not be for everyone, but I find 60 gb more than enough. I have my OS and roughly 5 games on it and a few programs, and im not even at 20 gb used. I use 640 blacks for my storage.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

As was mentioned, I will be waiting for SATA 3.0 SSD's, since I can't afford one now as it is, perhaps in a year I might be able too. Secondly, I think mechanical harddrives still have a lot of application left, in archival purposes. I can see some years down the road drives will have a SSD portion and a platter style portion, with OS's capable of knowing where to write whatever data is being written.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My 30GB vertex is enough for XP, programs and the few games I play. They're still expensive, but the price is really coming down, and the performance is really going up. I love how quick I load in games, almost always the first loaded on any level in any game. I don't have a top end computer by any means either.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

your right there not for everyone ha ha