Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2009, 09:41 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
one of the problems with SSD though is that then other parts of your computer become major bottlenecks.
Even w/ SSD's, storage will be the bottleneck for some time yet to come. Even with 500MB/s and massive amounts of IOPS I can bring my system to an utter crawl. Because I am waiting on the SSD's to catch up.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Until ICH11R is released it won't be 'fixed'. That is just the max bandwidth it is capable of delivering.
My comment was in reference to P55. Do we know the P55's max bandwidth? It doesnt use the ICH10, since its got its own "all-in-one' chipset. Unless I'm confused by intels wording on their PCH (Platform Controller Hub), and the ICH10 is just built together with the p55 in a single chip? The wording is kinda vague. Probably we wont know till the P55 NDA is lifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
one of the problems with SSD though is that then other parts of your computer become major bottlenecks.
I hardly see how that is an issue at all. Thats like complaining you're upgrading your 6600gt in an i7 rig, and your new gfx card is bottlenecked by your i7...Of course you should still upgrade if you want better performance!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 19, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok, makes sense. so after you upgrade to SSDs the ICH10 would be the next bottleneck within your system for most well built systems? I am saying within because networks and the internet would be an even bigger bottleneck than a hard drive ever was. are there any plans to make the thruput of the ICH10 higher?

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:50 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
My comment was in reference to P55. Do we know the P55's max bandwidth? It doesnt use the ICH10, since its got its own "all-in-one' chipset. Unless I'm confused by intels wording on their PCH (Platform Controller Hub), and the ICH10 is just built together with the p55 in a single chip? The wording is kinda vague. Probably we wont know till the P55 NDA is lifted.
My guess is that all 'southbridge' functions will still be based off ICH10R technology. If they make their mainstream platform have storage system then their enthusiast platform. Mr. lowfat is going to be one unhappy camper.

But I can imagine we'll have to wait for a SATA 6Gbps capable ICH before we will see more bandwidth possible.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
My guess is that all 'southbridge' functions will still be based off ICH10R technology. If they make their mainstream platform have storage system then their enthusiast platform. Mr. lowfat is going to be one unhappy camper.

But I can imagine we'll have to wait for a SATA 6Gbps capable ICH before we will see more bandwidth possible.
Yes. I just did some quick googling to see if I could answer myself. I got scared about P55 being 'better' then X58. Basically s1156 just moved the northbridge 100% on-die. The "P55" PHC is actually just an ICH10R southbridge. So, you, me and everyone else on X58 are still just fine

However, a revised P57 southbridge is due out 'shortly' after P55 releases. Apparently thats the chipset that will have on-motherboard SSD support called "Braidwood" technology. Now, braidwood...THAT has me interested . Who knows if this is just a slightly modified ICH10R chip to support the SSD, or an actual 'upgraded' ICH11R?

Found this chart, kind of interesting:

Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 19, 2009, 10:05 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Yes. I just did some quick googling to see if I could answer myself. I got scared about P55 being 'better' then X58. Basically s1156 just moved the northbridge 100% on-die. The "P55" PHC is actually just an ICH10R southbridge. So, you, me and everyone else on X58 are still just fine

However, a revised P57 southbridge is due out 'shortly' after P55 releases. Apparently thats the chipset that will have on-motherboard SSD support called "Braidwood" technology. Now, braidwood...THAT has me interested . Who knows if this is just a slightly modified ICH10R chip to support the SSD, or an actual 'upgraded' ICH11R?

Found this chart, kind of interesting:
Briarwood sounds a lot like Intel's failed attempt at Turbo Memory.

Intel 'Braidwood' chip targets snappier software | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

I guess only time will tell how successful and useful it is.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:09 AM

My System Specs

A little bit more here
HEXUS.net - News :: Intel sheds light on Braidwood memory acceleration : Page - 1/1

Ya it sounds like like a next generation Turbo Memory. It still uses NAND, so I don't think it will benefit all that much to SSD equipped systems. If it were DRAM based, then hell ya that would be awesome.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hrm, says its designed to 'smooth out' SSD data xfers for large IOPS. Guess we'll have to wait till Q1 2010 before we can find out if it has any effect. Kind of a moot point tho if they dont up the bandwidth beyond ~560mb/s.

The really scary part is that SSD's seem to be driving the industry to revolution right now, instead of Evolution. Everything is falling behind the SSD curve.

I love it.
Quote:
Old August 19, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

didn't read it yet but Intel to Scrap Braidwood Technology From P57 Series.
Old August 19, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
Which I guess puts us right back to my original question: When are we going to see the ICH11R controller? 550mb/s simply isnt enough. SSD's are tearing data transfer bandwidth a new one, and intel doesnt seem to be interested in keeping up.

Are the days of our motherboards being the bottleneck of systems upon us?
Between PCIe bandwith for SLI/Xfire and general information paths for 'other' accessories...there just doesnt seem to be enough bandwith to go around on the current gen of hardware.
Quote: