Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2009, 08:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Unhappy Try to recover info from an ext2 dying HDD

Though so far i've had no success in using the 4 major problems people use. I suspected something was a miss when i was trying ot watch any movie on it and it would say it lost connection(through my dns 323) and the movie would freeze/crash. When i go to copy/paste it runs into the same issue, saying it cannot access the drive. Funny thing is, the 1.5TB sitting in the other bay can read/write with 0 issues which leads me to believe my 320GB WD HDD is slowly dying. I tried plugging it into my computer but i can't access the ext2 partion that contains all the damn movies i have on it. I'm up for any suggestions

Edit: I can access and copy over files in the latest version of uBuntu, unfortunately it seems like a lot of the files are fragmented (don't copy the entire files over). Is there some way i can run a disc fix or something on them (what's it called in linux, i can't remember)

Last edited by Arinoth; August 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 10:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well i can't seem to access it through fsck for some reason, every time i unmount it it remounts itself as well, i'm tried using the WD tool, but it doesn't show me a repair selection at all, i wish i could figure this out and at least repair so i can recover as much as i can
Old August 2, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sorry to hear it man hope you have backups but i think the point of this thread is that you don't sorry
Old August 2, 2009, 11:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I somewhat do, about half of it is backed up, the other half isn't. Right now i am trying a repair tool to fix some of the files (most the movies were transfering over in ubuntu as not completely files) so i can see what i can get. If i can even get a half of the stuff i dont have back up fixed so i can transfer it to my reliable hdds i'll be happy. I'm just hoping what i'm using is working. Though i am surprised there aren't more linux users giving advice, they must all be asleep
Old August 2, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes i thought there were more linux users here too ( i myself no very little about linux ) good luck
Old August 2, 2009, 11:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks i'll need it, i'm trying to use the knowledge i've acquired from one of my linux friends back whom i went to school with the linux lessons i had to learn at college too
Old August 2, 2009, 07:07 PM
MVP
F@H

I've used Spinrite, from Gibson Research for some amazing file recoveries (and bad sector recoveries) on FAT NT and Linux. It's not free though, and I'm not sure if there is a shareware/demo available.