Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2009, 10:47 AM
Top Prospect

Default Which SSDs have Auto-Trim function?

From what I know only the
OCZ Summit series of SSDs have auto-trim function.

Anyone know if the Corsair P series or Patriot TorqX m28
which is based on Samsung Controllers or Memory also
have the auto-trim function?

I'm trying to find a SSD with Auto-Trim function that
doesn't cost as much as the Summit.
OCZ Vertex 120GB, Kingston V 128GB, Raptor X,
Antec Mini P180 CM UCP 700W
Samsung 240T, 226BW
Logitech G15, Microsoft X8

Watercooled by:
Swiftech Storm Rev.2 , 4870x2 FCB
1xMCP350 w/Petrastops , MCR220 QP , MCRES-MICRO , Tygon 1/2" ID
2 x Scythe Kama Ultra 1000
Old July 29, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very good question? thinking of those a-data's cause i am holding off buying them till i can see a review
Old July 29, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERo View Post
From what I know only the
OCZ Summit series of SSDs have auto-trim function.

Anyone know if the Corsair P series or Patriot TorqX m28
which is based on Samsung Controllers or Memory also
have the auto-trim function?

I'm trying to find a SSD with Auto-Trim function that
doesn't cost as much as the Summit.
Are you refering to the .exe program that manually runs the trim function? All of the Indilinx controlled SSD's have TRIM capability, but I do not believe the Samsung controllers do.

Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD Review
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 29, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

OK when you say "Auto Trim" are you talking about the TRIM ATA specification or “idle garbage collection” or “NANA Launderer” that Sammy and Indilinx drives do when the system is 100% idle for long times? IMHO the second is more marketing than anything as it requires the system to totally idle for LONG periods of time (hours minium) before doing anything noticeable. "Auto trim" / "Garbage collection" was added in fw 1.3 for Indi barefoot controller based SSDs. GC is not the same as wiper.exe, or a true ata TRIM command which the OS sends to the drive when a file is deleted. That being said GC has been shown to help Indi drives in RAID where wiper.exe will not work. BUT for single drive wiper.exe is better and faster. But neither will be as good as a true TRIM implementation.

IF you are trying to future proof yourself for Win 7....you can probably count on any of the Indilinx SSDs (or at least any with firmware updateability…i.e. the jumper on the end of the drive), the latest Samsung ones (like Corsair...probably and OCZ Summit) and Intel. Intel has stated that G1 versions of the X-25 are SOL as it only the brand new G2s will have a firmware release supporting Windows 7 variation of TRIM after Win 7 is released and they have had time to study it. IMHO this is a smart and bad move by Intel. It’s smart as who knows how Ms is going to implement it and may get it wrong ;) It’s bad because all those early adopters of Intel SSD are getting screwed. The SSD marketplace is extremely cut throat so if one adopts something the others are sure to follow or risk becoming obsolete!

EDIT: just remebered something! The earlier Summit drives shipped with 1801....ONLY the 18C1 firware has "auto trim".

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 29, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old July 29, 2009, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

Interesting...

So AkG, what do you think I should spend my money on if I wanted a most hassle free SSD?

-Patriot Torqx or Torqx m28 (10 yr warranty seems enticing)
-G.Skill Falcon
-OCZ Summit

???
OCZ Vertex 120GB, Kingston V 128GB, Raptor X,
Antec Mini P180 CM UCP 700W
Samsung 240T, 226BW
Logitech G15, Microsoft X8

Watercooled by:
Swiftech Storm Rev.2 , 4870x2 FCB
1xMCP350 w/Petrastops , MCR220 QP , MCRES-MICRO , Tygon 1/2" ID
2 x Scythe Kama Ultra 1000
Old July 29, 2009, 09:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

I got the falcon 128gb form the Akg ssd sale, realy good drive, and akg set it before send it to me and give me a link to download the trim tool, Im realy satisfied on the ssd and on Akg service
Old July 30, 2009, 05:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERo View Post
Interesting...

So AkG, what do you think I should spend my money on if I wanted a most hassle free SSD?

-Patriot Torqx or Torqx m28 (10 yr warranty seems enticing)
-G.Skill Falcon
-OCZ Summit

???
You should wait another week and pick up the 2nd gen Intel X25-M when it (fully) hits the retail market.

Ideally if you're really not in a rush, I would even go one step further and wait for the 2nd revision of the indilinx controller to see what they bring to the table.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 30, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would personally focus in on either the X-25M gen 2 SSDs or the Indilinx barefoot controller SSDs. They are about the only ones which will easily let you update the firmware and thus allow Native OS TRIM commands....when it becomes available. If you can hold off for a little while the X-25M g2 WILL bring the price down on other SSDs. This assume you are planning on using Win 7. IF you are going to use Vista or XP....Indilinx all the way as Wiper.exe is full of win ;)

I would stay away from the Summit series until OCZ can confirm firmware updateability. No updates = no trim. And Samsung are notorious for not letting anyone but OEM partners update the firmware.

As for Torqx vs Falcon vs Vertex....pick the one that is cheapest. UNLESS you plan on using for a long time, in which case get the Torqx.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 30, 2009, 09:38 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Seeing as we are SOL when running RAID anyways. I'm going to get a couple indilinx barefoot based ssd's in Raid 0, run them at half capacity and periodically run the cleanup routines.
But I'm holding off as there is talk of a an upgrade to intels ICH10 controller that will allow the trim function on raid configurations.
Old August 2, 2009, 12:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I would stay away from the Summit series until OCZ can confirm firmware updateability. No updates = no trim. And Samsung are notorious for not letting anyone but OEM partners update the firmware.
+1

Go for Intel or Barefoot.