Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2009, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

waiting on 2x a-data s592 32gb which i think is the barefoot is it not? ( hopeful getting a torq soon too) ahhh ssd fun
Old August 2, 2009, 05:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
waiting on 2x a-data s592 32gb which i think is the barefoot is it not? ( hopeful getting a torq soon too) ahhh ssd fun
Yep, both the s592 and the Torx use the Barefoot. Same with the Vertex and the Falcon.

They're all pretty much the same, except for warranties (ho hum), firmware, and support.

I think OCZ has the inside track on the firmware, having worked closely with Indilinx on the original FW and probably being their best customer.

They have the best SSD forum too.
Old August 2, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The BIG issue with the S592 is firmware updatability. They have NO jumper pins and appear to be NOT end user upgradeable. This means either they have an inside track with Indilinx and have no need of using the jumper method of updating (highly doubtful) or S592 buyers are going to be SOL when the next Indi firmware comes out. :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 2, 2009, 07:08 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The BIG issue with the S592 is firmware updatability. They have NO jumper pins and appear to be NOT end user upgradeable. This means either they have an inside track with Indilinx and have no need of using the jumper method of updating (highly doubtful) or S592 buyers are going to be SOL when the next Indi firmware comes out. :(
Last two times I've updated the FW on my Vertex I didn't need a jumper. It was only required with the older FW.
Old August 2, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

from what i can see after a little investigation which is not much after FW 1.3 no jumper is needed ( but i am not worried i plan on buying a torqx warranty and upgradeable for sure )
Old August 2, 2009, 07:57 PM

Yes lowfat the OCZ VERTEX didn't need a jumper for 1.3....the Falcon AND the Torqx DID. OCZ has an inside line w/ Indi and has figured it out. Does A-Data have the same inside line that gurantees no need of a jumper...EVER? OCZ stated the reason it didn't need a jumper was because the 1.3 was only overwriting certain parts of the firmware sectors and they do not gurantee future updates will be jumperless. To me this is a needless risk when there are other options out there.

Edit looks like Adata realized their mistake and are releasing a SX95 SSd w/ firmware updateability.
" ...Another benefit of SX95 includes the latest function for firmware updates to maintain the best performance..."

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 2, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i know it was a gamble not worried, what about wiper do you think it works? . ( just checked a-data's site they have a intel a-data uni-brand ssd wow ) don't see the SX95 there link if one please thank for all the info ( think i will wait to see what come around Christmas before i buy a torqx )
Old August 2, 2009, 08:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
looks like Adata realized their mistake and are releasing a SX95 SSd w/ firmware updateability.
I should hope so. This is an emerging technology and firmware upgrades are important.

In fact they're one of the great things about SSDs. You do a reflash and get not only a faster drive but a full erase of all cells. It's like a free upgrade.

People have been reflashing MB BIOS and tweaking video drivers for years. It's about time we started optimizing our storage too.
Old August 3, 2009, 08:25 AM

I haven't tried the wiper...yet. Its on the list of things to do, but I am not worried. A barefoot is a barefoot is a barefoot....I hope ;)

The SX95 is part of their Xtreme Performance Gear line.
Here is one of the press releases:
A-DATA SX95 solid state disks launched

and here is a link to the taiwan site featureing it:
A-DATA OC Offical Website

Old August 3, 2009, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank you. never thought to check Taiwan doh