Default Raid1 question

i have a dataserver with windows7 installed

specs:
Gigabyte ep45-ds3r
intel e4400
2gb memory
160 ide hdd for os
2x500hdd for raid1 for data

ok so my problem is that i have to change my motherboard because it is faulty. the motherboard is still fonctionnal but the bios is corrupted and i get random errors sometimes. plus when i reboot windows when it reaches the bios it does a reboot in loop so i have to manually shut down the power supply. each time i reboot the pc either in windows or when i apply some new change in the bios it will reboot in loop. the bios got half corrupted when i flashed it. first time it happend to me in my 10years or experience with computers. i tried to reflash it but it will always error. i cannot rewrite the bios .

in this setup i use the 160gb for the os and 2x500gb hdd in raid1 for my important data and i am affraid that if i change my motherboard i might loose my array and my data. also i am almost out of space and would need more space so i would like to upgrade for bigger harddrives.

so my question is, after installing the new motherboard and the new raid1 array with some new bigger drives, can i take one of my old drives, plug it as simple sata and copy the data from it to my new raid1 array? i am affraid that removing one drive from the array will make it unreadable when used as a single drive.

i hope it is not that much complicated the way i wrote it

thx
Old July 19, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
i have a dataserver with windows7 installed

specs:
Gigabyte ep45-ds3r
intel e4400
2gb memory
160 ide hdd for os
2x500hdd for raid1 for data

ok so my problem is that i have to change my motherboard because it is faulty. the motherboard is still fonctionnal but the bios is corrupted and i get random errors sometimes. plus when i reboot windows when it reaches the bios it does a reboot in loop so i have to manually shut down the power supply. each time i reboot the pc either in windows or when i apply some new change in the bios it will reboot in loop. the bios got half corrupted when i flashed it. first time it happend to me in my 10years or experience with computers. i tried to reflash it but it will always error. i cannot rewrite the bios .

in this setup i use the 160gb for the os and 2x500gb hdd in raid1 for my important data and i am affraid that if i change my motherboard i might loose my array and my data. also i am almost out of space and would need more space so i would like to upgrade for bigger harddrives.

so my question is, after installing the new motherboard and the new raid1 array with some new bigger drives, can i take one of my old drives, plug it as simple sata and copy the data from it to my new raid1 array? i am affraid that removing one drive from the array will make it unreadable when used as a single drive.

i hope it is not that much complicated the way i wrote it

thx
Since your using a Intel based chipset (Or I hope you are) then as long as your next board has a Intel chipset you'll be fine.
Old July 19, 2009, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
meaning that i can use one of the drives and use it as a simple drive on sata and still be able to get the data from it?
If a drive has been in a raid array there is no way of getting data off of it to my knowledge unless you put it back into an array.
Old July 19, 2009, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Since your using a Intel based chipset (Or I hope you are) then as long as your next board has a Intel chipset you'll be fine.
meaning that i can use one of the drives and use it as a simple drive on sata and still be able to get the data from it?
Old July 19, 2009, 01:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

your are bang on Finch, you can use a single RAID 1 hard drive as a single and it will operate perfectly. Hence the beauty of RAID 1 ;)
Old July 19, 2009, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
your are bang on Finch, you can use a single RAID 1 hard drive as a single and it will operate perfectly. Hence the beauty of RAID 1 ;)
thx