Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2009, 12:55 AM
Rookie

Default Western Digital Caviar Black or Velociraptor?

I been using my old 120G Seagate harddrive, going strong but it time to replace it, not sure if there are different between Caviar Black or Velociraptor.

I only need about 400G to 600G harddrive too, haven't done RAID 0 before so I was thinking of getting two 640G for RAID 0.

Old July 19, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cav blacks for sure. Barely slower than the vraptors, much more space, a lot less price, quieter...

640GB or 1TB version are the fastest.
Old July 19, 2009, 04:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

Velociraptor is a cooler name...

yes they are fast, twice the price worth it thou. no.

only my credit card regretted getting a pair in raid0.
Old July 19, 2009, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Blacks for sure. Hell buy a pair and set them in RAID 0! You can also buy a 1.5 TB HDD to set it as a backup from time to time. Windows 7 backs everything up to that disk at certain times (usually when you want to).

EDIT: as soon I mentioned that, I was thinking to myself, "why not just go RAID 5 with four disks?"
Old July 19, 2009, 03:55 PM
Rookie

As someone who has tried 1TB Blacks single and RAID0 and Velociraptors single and RAID0, I can always notice a difference with the VR's. If you are only buying a single drive and don't want to spend much money go for a 1TB black. They are pretty cheap at under $100 now. If you don't mind spending more money, go for 2 VR's, you will enjoy the performance in RAID0. If you don't mind spending the money and trinking now and again the other option is SSD's.

I've gotta go against Jake HT though, my VR's are much quieter than any of my blacks and also run much cooler.
Old July 21, 2009, 08:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I agree with Boredom fighter.

If your main priorities are economy and capacity, get the black.

If your main priority is performance, SSDs rule.

For a happy medium the VRs are OK but a little pricy for what you get.

Seek times and small file transfers are so important on a system drive but so often overlooked.

I prefer SSDs for booting and HDDs for bulk storage and backup at least until SSD storage becomes cheaper than HDD storage per terabyte.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

forget the VR. not worth it in my opinion
Old July 21, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As someone who own and uses both...get the black. IF you have the coin to drop on a VRaptor go for a Vertex/Falcon/Torqx SSD and never look back at spindle drives for your OS. The difference IS significant.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 21, 2009, 12:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IF you have the coin to drop on a VRaptor go for a Vertex/Falcon/Torqx SSD and never look back at spindle drives for your OS. The difference IS significant.
Amen.
Old July 22, 2009, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply everyone! will get WD Caviar Black