Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Western Digital Caviar Black or Velociraptor? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/20544-western-digital-caviar-black-velociraptor.html)

Jacka July 19, 2009 12:55 AM

Western Digital Caviar Black or Velociraptor?

I been using my old 120G Seagate harddrive, going strong but it time to replace it, not sure if there are different between Caviar Black or Velociraptor.

I only need about 400G to 600G harddrive too, haven't done RAID 0 before so I was thinking of getting two 640G for RAID 0.

Jake_HT July 19, 2009 01:06 AM

Cav blacks for sure. Barely slower than the vraptors, much more space, a lot less price, quieter...

640GB or 1TB version are the fastest.

DK2 July 19, 2009 04:55 AM

Velociraptor is a cooler name...

yes they are fast, twice the price worth it thou. no.

only my credit card regretted getting a pair in raid0.

bojangles July 19, 2009 07:26 AM

Blacks for sure. Hell buy a pair and set them in RAID 0! You can also buy a 1.5 TB HDD to set it as a backup from time to time. Windows 7 backs everything up to that disk at certain times (usually when you want to).

EDIT: as soon I mentioned that, I was thinking to myself, "why not just go RAID 5 with four disks?"

Boredom Fighter July 19, 2009 03:55 PM

As someone who has tried 1TB Blacks single and RAID0 and Velociraptors single and RAID0, I can always notice a difference with the VR's. If you are only buying a single drive and don't want to spend much money go for a 1TB black. They are pretty cheap at under $100 now. If you don't mind spending more money, go for 2 VR's, you will enjoy the performance in RAID0. If you don't mind spending the money and trinking now and again the other option is SSD's.

I've gotta go against Jake HT though, my VR's are much quieter than any of my blacks and also run much cooler.

JimboToronto July 21, 2009 08:33 AM

I agree with Boredom fighter.

If your main priorities are economy and capacity, get the black.

If your main priority is performance, SSDs rule.

For a happy medium the VRs are OK but a little pricy for what you get.

Seek times and small file transfers are so important on a system drive but so often overlooked.

I prefer SSDs for booting and HDDs for bulk storage and backup at least until SSD storage becomes cheaper than HDD storage per terabyte.

gingerbee July 21, 2009 10:55 AM

forget the VR. not worth it in my opinion

AkG July 21, 2009 10:58 AM

As someone who own and uses both...get the black. IF you have the coin to drop on a VRaptor go for a Vertex/Falcon/Torqx SSD and never look back at spindle drives for your OS. The difference IS significant.

JimboToronto July 21, 2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 227307)
IF you have the coin to drop on a VRaptor go for a Vertex/Falcon/Torqx SSD and never look back at spindle drives for your OS. The difference IS significant.

Amen.

Jacka July 22, 2009 07:11 PM

Thanks for the reply everyone! will get WD Caviar Black