Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default HUGE Fing Raid Problem. o and its urgent.

so i just got home from c-toan 5 lan and booted my comp. everything was going fine until it froze. fine mozilla fire fox had just crashed, so lets reboot. all my bios settings were wiped, my raid confige got screwed to and my backup drive went into the raid config as one of the drives and booted the other one out. how can i get the one that is now stated as no raid back in the raid config and keep all my data. thanks much for anyone who can help me, specs are in sig.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

follow the rebuild raid guide in your asus manual ( i have not done this in a long time. 2+ years so if anyone else has a better suggestion please jump right in.)
Old July 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

manual lost in boxes from moving. and i think i lost it all already. o well give me a chance to play with different raid configs.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:47 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Can you recreate the array using the same two disks without "reinitializing" it? The data should remain intact then, and then it might be possible to run a raid verify or repair...
Old July 11, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

he's got a good point try resetting your bios setting after cmos clear and see if it will boot. if no go then asus support has your guide
Old July 11, 2009, 01:00 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

See if your bios hasn't changed from Raid to IDE mode.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i got a message when trying to boot saying no os installed casue my 750gig replaced the 640, so i unpluged the 750 and tried to get it to see the drive but it would only pick it up as a no-raid disk, so thanks to infinite wisdom of anabioz who helped me through many pm's i tried to recreat the array to no luck. so now im at the point do i go without a computer for a week and let my friends dad(it guy) look at it while i replace the motor in my truck or do i just say it and get the info for many of my friends over the next month or two.
Old July 11, 2009, 08:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If all the drives that were part of the array still spin up and are detected by the BIOS, here's what I'd recommend doing:
  1. Move the array drives into another, working computer that has Windows running on it.
  2. Purchase RAID Reconstructor and GetDataBack NTFS (or find other ways of obtaining it )
  3. Run RAID Reconstructor to figure out how the array lines up, then use GetDataBack to load up the file RAID Reconstructor creates. Sift through and find the files you need then save them to a hard drive not part of the "array" drives.
That worked for me however I did not attempt to recreate the array or anything in the BIOS on my PC. Once the array broke, I pulled the drives and put them into another PC. Got all the data I needed off perfectly fine.
Old July 11, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i wish i could justify spending money on it but i am completely out. that and sinse most of the data can be found on friends computer i wont pay to get it back. thanks for all your help guys. and i wish i could put them in another pc, sadly the other family one is still ide.
Old July 11, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well now i cant seem to be able to install windows 7 on the raid config any more, it say "system was unable to create a new system partition..." anyone got any ideas.